University staff in charge of classes are required to help facilitate a safe and efficient response to emergency situations.
Familiarise yourself with the University’s standard emergency response procedures and the emergency exits, safe exit paths and assembly areas for various teaching spaces. In the event of an alarm activation:
- Encourage your students to remain calm
- Ask the students to pack up their personal belongings and prepare to evacuate
- Check that the available exits are clear and free of danger
- Direct students to evacuate
- Report any problems to the chief warden, Protective Services or the attending emergency services
Until further notice due to COVID-19, encourage students to maintain physical distancing while assembling. If you need to spread out, stay nearby (within eyesight of the building). The local emergency warden, a protective services officer or the emergency services will indicate when it is safe to re-enter the building.