In this section, learn about Skin Names, how they provide information about a person's bloodline, how generations are linked and how this sets up systems of reciprocal relationships and responsibilities.
- What are your responsibilities in your community and family? How did you learn these?
- How could you learn how to work with Aboriginal people in your profession?
- How do Aboriginal people relate to their extended parents and grandparents?
- Consider how Skin Names help link families. Why and how would this be important?
- Marriage requirements to monitor bloodlines – why is this important?
- Skin Name and what it means to Aboriginal people.
- Examples of women’s roles and men’s roles.
- Examples of relations with extended family members.
- Loss of family under ‘protection policies’ and what this meant for Aboriginal people.