Skip to main content


Please review our student policies at Centre for English Teaching (CET) below.
Share this page

Attendance and suspension

CET monitors daily attendance of all English students to conform with the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act, National Code 2018 Standard 8: “Overseas student visa requirements”. Please review the CET Student Attendance and Suspension Process, which outlines the attendance requirements.

Please also view our course attendance diagram below for a summary of the attendance requirements.

attendance policy

CET Counselling & Wellbeing Support

CET Counsellors assist English students in building the skills and resilience to manage any issue, problem or concern that may be affecting studies. The free and confidential service aims to help students adjust to academic and Australian culture.

Our experienced staff and English teachers are available at CET to provide you with variety of advice and support. We have educational advice about options for further studies - universities, business colleges, technical colleges.

If you are having problems we have a step by step guide to assist you resolve any issues.

Student counsellors

Simon Messner, Student Counsellor

Simon and Nadezhda are our counsellors. They are here to assist students with any problems that they may have whilst they are studying at CET.

Phone: 02 9036 7937



In the event the CET counsellors are unavailable, you are welcome to contact the Student Representative Council (SRC) for assistance.

SRC can assist you with the following:

  • Casework assistance for problems with accommodation and employment. This generally involves assisting you to access external complaint mechanisms and supporting you throughout the complaint process. Please note that the SRC cannot assist you to find jobs or accommodation.
  • Legal advice on matters including, but not limited to immigration, fines, traffic accidents, criminal charges, disputes with telcos, debts etc.
  • Emergency loans are available. You will need to provide photo ID and proof you are enrolled at CET to obtain a loan. Loans must be repaid within 1 month.

Below are some further links which you may find useful:

Change of Provider Requests

Please see the CET Student Request for Change of Provider Guidelines 2020 for information regarding changing to another education provider.


If you have a question, issue, problem or request, please:

  • Talk to one of your class teachers first if it relates to your course, progress, absence, or class work
    • message the teacher directly in Canvas to ask when you can talk (online or on campus) to him or her about it
  • Contact one of the CET Counsellors if it relates to your mental health, well-being, or if you require advice about non-class issues such as accommodation, legal issues, other options for degree entry, employment, etc

If you have a complaint, please contact the relevant CET Manager by email, including your name and CET Student ID number:

If the CET Manager is unable to resolve the complaint and you would then like to lodge a formal complaint to the University, please send an email to that includes:

  • Your full name (given name, family name)
  • Your CET student ID (please indicate that you are a CET student)
  • The class you are in (e.g. DEC15 or GAS)
  • Your University Unikey
  • Details of your complaint

Student Affairs will contact CET to advise us of the complaint. We will try to arrange local resolution with you if a CET Manager has not already attempted this. CET will respond formally to your complaint.

After this, if you believe that your complaint has not been resolved, you can contact the NSW Government Ombudsman: - 02 9286 1000.

If the NSW Ombudsman cannot resolve your complaint, finally you can contact Department of Education and Training: -1300 566 046.

Please note:

  • Meetings with CET staff including teachers, managers and counsellors to discuss your complaint may be online.
  • At any time during the complaint and appeal process, you can be represented by a nominee (e.g. a relative another student, a friend, an education agent) of your choice.
  • You can also have a support person present at meetings, such as a friend, who does not necessarily act as a representative.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, the person responsible for your welfare (e.g. a relative or guardian) must attend any Complaints & Appeals meetings with CET staff.

Course Progress

Please review the CET Course Progress Guidelines for information on the steps taken if you do not meet the progression requirements of your CET English course. You may bring a friend or support person to any meeting you have at CET.

Minimum Entry Age

Students should be at least 18 years old. Applications from students aged less than 18 years old will be considered if guardianship arrangements are in place. Australian Government conditions apply. CET adheres to the University of Sydney Under 18 International Students Policy 2016.

Social Media Guidelines for Staff

The guidelines for the use of social media at CET are outlined online here.

Social Media Guidelines for Students

The guidelines for the use of social media at CET are outlined online here.

Student Misconduct

Student conduct expectations and the process for alleged breach of conduct are outlined in the CET Student Discipline Provisions.

Terms and conditions

Please familiarise yourself with the CET terms and conditions.

Filepolicies.html Help
New Form Entry Edit Upload Submit
Filepolicies.html Help
New Form Entry Edit Upload Submit