Global engineering education leader brings expertise to Sydney

27 February 2020
Professor TJ Lim appointed Associate Dean (Education)
The Faculty of Engineering has welcomed Professor TJ Lim as Associate Dean (Education), in a move that will strengthen international connections, broaden ties between education and research and align the Faculty with growing industry trends.
Professor TJ Lim

Arriving at the University of Sydney from the National University of Singapore, Professor Teng Joon Lim is a leading voice in electrical and information engineering and engineering education strategy, having overseen all aspects of graduate education, coursework and research programs at NUS.

“Sydney is a world-class city, and the University of Sydney has a world-class reputation. I believe I can contribute to improving our standing internationally with my previous experience at other well-known universities overseas,” said Professor Lim.

Professor Lim, a Clarivate Highly Cited Researcher thanks to a large number of citations for co-authored papers, will utilise his leading engineering knowledge, as well as key experience in the student space, to continue the Faculty of Engineering's work in improving the student experience.

“I hope to improve the student experience by strengthening the link between research and education, and between industry and academia. That way, we can make Sydney even more attractive to both domestic and international students.”

Professor Lim joins the Faculty at a time of transformation, most notably the implementation of a digital-focused undergraduate curriculum, which aims to incorporate data science and computation into all engineering degrees.

“At NUS, I was responsible for all aspects of coursework and research graduate programs and students, and introduced a number of new features, including allowing industry internships to be credited towards a PhD,” said Professor Lim.

Professor Lim will also make important contributions to Faculty research output, with his key research areas centred around wireless communications. 

More specifically, his research focuses on wireless communications at the physical layer, and anomaly and attack detection in communication networks, which aim to increase information transfer speeds and information security, respectively.

Both are critical to the success of Industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things.

“I’ve been working in this field for more than 20 years. I’m interested in this particular area of research because it’s one where mathematics can be applied to solve real-world problems,” said Professor Lim.

“Ultimately I hope to see my research translated into products and solutions that are adopted widely, achieving international recognition for the work we are doing here at the University of Sydney.”

Professor TJ Lim
Professor TJ Lim
Academic profile