The scientific instrument and apparatus collection began in 1972 with the Macleay exhibition Historical and Interesting Scientific Instruments. At this time of change in scientific technologies, the exhibition drew from a century of objects once in use at the University. Many of these departmental objects were then transferred to the Macleay.
Since then, the collection has retained a central focus on scientific instruments and equipment used in teaching and research at the University. The collection reflects the international history of science, within the context of the evolution of scientific practice.
The collection's strengths include instruments and equipment from the physics, chemistry, engineering, geology and biological sciences disciplines, and the former Sydney Teachers College.
Featured image (top of the page): SILLIAC computer component, Physics Department, University of Sydney, 1954–1968, SC1991.11