Skip to main content


How to apply

Any student on a Commonwealth supported place is legally required to:

This form would have been provided to you during the online enrolment process.

You can also access it at a later time through Sydney Student (go to 'My finance', 'Your finances', then 'Government forms').

Choosing a payment option

There are several ways that Commonwealth supported students can pay their student contributions. Each semester you have the opportunity to review your choice of payment option and change if eligible.

If eligible, you can obtain a HECS-HELP loan to pay your student contribution

This means the Australian Government will pay your student contribution to the University on your behalf.

If you only use the loan for part of your fees, you can pay the remaining amount through a partial upfront payment.

The amount loaned then becomes part of your accumulated HELP debt.

To obtain a HECS-HELP loan, you are required to provide your tax file number (TFN).


Pay your student contribution upfront

Each semester you’ll receive a financial statement that will include your student contribution amounts. You will be able to access this through Sydney Student and pay for your fees online.

Although it’s not mandatory, we strongly advise that you still provide your TFN if selecting the upfront option.

After the relevant census date, any unpaid student contribution amount will be deferred automatically as a HECS-HELP loan, but this can only happen if we have your TFN.

HECS-HELP upfront discount

You’ll receive a 10% discount when you make an upfront payment of $500 or more on your HECS-HELP loan. This applies to units with a census date on or after 1 January 2021.

Providing your tax file number

If you’re a Commonwealth supported student eligible for HECS-HELP and have not provided a TFN or paid your student contributions up front before census, your enrolment will be cancelled.

If you don’t have a TFN at the time of filling out your form, before census you will need to:

  1. Apply for a TFN if you don’t already have one.
  2. Provide your TFN or Certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) via email:

If you're a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the eligibility requirements, you'll need to provide evidence that you have been living in Australia for the qualifying period prior to the relevant census date.

Once you've completed the Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form you will need to provide evidence that you meet long-term residency requirements. To demonstrate this you need to bring the following documents to the Student Centre:

  1. Your current passport
  2. An international movement record from the Department of Home Affairs requested within 7 days of your HECS-HELP eligibility submission
  3. Other evidence of your residency. This can include but is not limited to:
    • Australian academic transcripts dated when you were a minor
    • stamped passport(s)
    • school reports or certificates
    • enrolment papers from when you were a minor
    • Australian Student ID card or concession card
    • completed Certificate of application for Tax File Number form, Tax File Number advice or notification of assessment of income tax dated from when you were a minor
    • payslips or payment summaries from when you were a minor.

These documents need to be submitted by the relevant census date or you will not be eligible for HELP assistance and will be required to pay your fees upfront.

Additional information

SCV is a temporary visa that ceases when you leave Australia. You need to be in the country at the time of applying for HELP.

If you become an Australian permanent resident your SCV will no longer be valid and you will not be eligible for HELP assistance.

Find out more about Special Category Visas

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 29 November 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.