Skip to main content

Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme

  1. Overview
  2. How to apply for ITAS
  3. ITAS tutors

How to apply for ITAS


To apply for ITAS you need to be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. If you have not already done so, you need to provide us with a Certificate of Aboriginality or a statutory declaration. Read our policy on Confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Identity for guidelines.

You also need to be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework course either full time, part time or by distance education.

How to apply

Complete an online application for ITAS tutoring. You can apply for tutoring for more than one unit of study on this application.

If you would like to request a specific tutor, you can do this in your application.

What happens next

Once you have submitted your application, it will be assessed. We will then review our available tutors and try to match you with a tutor who has the relevant skills and knowledge for your unit of study. If you have requested a specific tutor, we will contact them to see if they’re suitable and available.

Once a tutor has been arranged, we will give you their contact details. It is your responsibility to contact them and arrange a suitable time for your tutoring sessions. In some situations, we may also arrange for you to meet your tutor before your tutoring starts.

During your first session you should provide your tutor with a copy of your unit of study outline so they have a clear idea of the unit’s content. You also need to complete a Work Program with your tutor. This outlines your goals for the semester and strategies for meeting them.

Continue your tutoring

You need to apply each semester for any unit of study where you would like tutoring.

If you would like to request your current tutor in another semester, you can do this on your application. Tutoring can only continue with the approval of the Gadigal Centre learning officer.

Last updated: 17 October 2022

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.