Skip to main content

Research student funding

As a research student, you may be able to access funding through your faculty or school to support you with your studies. 

In addition to the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS), many faculties and schools provide additional funding to HDR students to support their studies. The funding available and application process varies, so check the information below.

HDR Support Scheme

Architecture, Design and Planning students can access a funding scheme similar to PRSS called the HDR Support Scheme (HDRSS).

You should apply for PRSS before submitting an application for the HDR Support Scheme. Information and guidelines on the HDRSS are outlined in the HDR Support Scheme Application Form (pdf, 120KB).

Funding preference is given if you are presenting at conferences that are HERDC eligible.

If you have any questions, contact ADP Education Support at

How to apply

Applications for the HDR Support Scheme are open from 1 February until 27 October each year. To apply, complete the HDR Support Scheme Application Form (pdf, 120KB). Submit your completed application form, with approval from your supervisor, to

If your application relates to presenting at a conference, make sure you complete the HERDC pro-forma and provide all necessary supporting documents.

FASS Doctoral Research Travel Grant Scheme

The FASS Doctoral Research Travel Grant Scheme is a Scholarship that enables students to undertake primary research outside of Sydney. Find out more about the Scheme on the Scholarships website.

Other funding

There are a number of other HDR Scholarships available if you're a research student in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. These are listed on the Scholarships website.

Specific departments also manage and advertise various research grants. You can discuss these opportunities directly with your supervisor.

School of IT – Postgraduate Research Travel Scheme

The Postgraduate Research Travel Scheme (PRTS) provides support for research students in the School of IT to travel to conference venues in Australia and Overseas. Funds are available up to a fixed amount depending on the ERA ranking and location of the conference. You have access to funds as soon as you receive an acceptance letter from the conference program chair.

Funding available

The date of your acceptance letter determines the year of PRTS funding. Your letter needs to be verified by the Research Training Director. Satellite events of the conference (such as workshops, BoF session and poster session) not ranked by ERA are not considered for funding.

The PRTS covers expenses for conference travel including:

  • travel/flight (ground travel such as taxi is not included)
  • accommodation
  • conference fees
  • visa fees.

Before you make travel arrangements, you need to submit a student travel form.

You need to book all airfares through the University's preferred travel provider, You also need to show that the lowest logical available rate of accommodation has been booked for your conference trip.

The below amounts are made available to postgraduate students. Any amounts awarded by the PRSS will be deducted.

Conference ranking

Amount A

Amount B

Region 1: local



Region 2: others



Region 3: Europe, Africa, North and South America



Unused PRTS funds can’t be carried forward.


To be eligible for PRTS you need to:

  • have applied for PRSS*
  • be enrolled in a research degree in the School of IT at the date of delivery of the acceptance letter
  • have not exceeded four years full-time candidature if you're a doctoral student, or two years full-time candidature if you’re a master of philosophy student (or part time equivalent)
  • have a full paper (short paper in exceptional cases) accepted for the main conference track
  • be presenting in an oral presentation format
  • be attending a conference ranked A or B (Core/ERA ranking).

If you have co-authored a conference publication with other students, only one student can seek funding for the conference.

*PRSS applications are only open for certain periods. If you missed the deadline, contact the School of IT Postgraduate Officer.

How to apply

You need to submit a student travel form before you make travel arrangements.

Funding is provided as a reimbursement of expenses, no up-front payments can be provided. You will need to provide receipts after you have incurred the costs.

To apply for funding you need to submit an online application form. The application will be assessed by the Research Training Director and you will receive a notification by email.

School of Psychology

You can find information about funding and scholarships on the Psychology HDR Canvas site.

Higher Degree by Research Administration Centre


Find your discipline contact

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Last updated: 30 March 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.