Skip to main content

Special consideration and arrangements

When and how to apply

COVID-19 update: eligibility and supporting documents

As a result of COVID-19, there may be circumstances out of your control that impact on your ability to complete an assessment task. This may include self-isolation, travel bans, carer responsibilities, work commitments, attendance requirements or IT issues impacting online study.

Check our Coronavirus advice page for information on applying for special consideration and documents required in these situations. Be aware as an alternative to a medical certificate or other medical documents, you can submit a student declaration, with any available supporting evidence, that describes the misadventure, illness or injury that you suffered and for how long.

If you have an exam scheduled between 10pm and 6.59am in the timezone you're living in, you may be eligible for a special arrangement.

Deadlines for applying

Special consideration applications need to be submitted online within three working days after the date of the examination or the assessment due date.

When you need to apply for a special arrangement depends on your circumstances, refer to the table below for more information. Late applications will be considered only if a reasonable explanation for the delay is provided in your application.



Special consideration: illness, injury or misadventure

No longer than three working days after (by 11.59pm Sydney local time on the third day)
  • the original assessment due date
  • the sitting date of the exam
  • the date of the missed class or missed placement

Special arrangement: for an assessment or examination held during semester

If you are aware of your essential commitment at the start of the semester, you need to apply at the start of semester.

For other unavoidable commitments you need to apply as soon as you became aware of the clash.

Special arrangement: for an assessment or examination held in the formal University examination periods

No longer than 14 days after publication of the examination timetable. If you’re not aware of the commitment at this time, you will need to apply for a special arrangement within three working days (11.59pm Sydney local time) after the special commitment date is known.

How to apply

You will need to apply online through the Special considerations portal. This quick reference guide provides a step-by-step guide on how to fill out the application.

You won’t be able to save your application once you start, so make sure you have all your information and relevant supporting documents ready in advance. The application process should only take 5-10 minutes to complete.

If a disability prevents you from applying online and you are registered with Inclusion and Disability Services, you should contact your Disability Support Officer. If your reason for making an application prevents you from applying online, you should make an online enquiry or call the Student Centre.

In your application, you will need to:

  • make a short statement giving specific dates and describing the impact of the illness, injury misadventure or special commitment on your studies
  • upload supporting documents as part of your application. If all the necessary supporting documents are not provided, your application cannot be approved. You can use one of the libraries or study spaces on campus to scan and upload documents
  • select the impacted units of study you are currently, or were previously, enrolled in. You can then select the assessment item you want to include in your application. If the unit or assessment item is not available or has incorrect assessment details, you will need to contact your unit of study coordinator to have this amended on the online unit of study outline by the Faculty. You can request special consideration for more than one unit of study or assessment if they were affected by the same illness, injury or misadventure.

Providing false information

If you provide false information in your application, there are serious penalties including exclusion from the University. Only submit information that is true, accurate and complete; and provided without the intent to mislead or gain advantage.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 12 October 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.