Skip to main content

Special consideration and arrangements

What happens next

We will send the outcome of your application to your University student email account. Most applications are processed within four working days, though it may take longer if we need to request further information from your unit of study coordinator.

If your application is approved, we'll provide information on the special consideration granted and the adjustment you’ll receive in your outcome email. Depending on the type of special consideration granted, you may receive further communication with more detail on how this adjustment will work.

If further clarification is required, you will need to contact your unit of study coordinator for further details. If the consideration granted is a replacement exam or assessment, this may mean there will be a delay in receiving your results. You will not be allowed to re-enrol until these grades have been finalised.

If your application is declined, you'll receive information about why the decision was made and your options. If your application missed important information that could support your case, or excluded an affected assessment, you are encouraged to submit a new application with the missing documents or assessment details.

If the application status is 'in-progress' this means the decision is currently with your Faculty to determine a consideration which may take longer.

If possible, while you wait for the outcome of your application, you should continue to work on and submit your assessments or prepare to sit for your exams. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved. If you fail to attend an exam or placement and your application is declined, the result is most likely a mark of zero for the assessment and, if the assessment is compulsory, an 'Absent Fail' grade for the unit of study.

Withdrawing an application

An application cannot be changed once submitted, but you can ask to withdraw one or more requests in your application. You can do this at any time before the release of results for that assessment or the delivery of a replacement assessment, whichever occurs first.

To withdraw an application:

  • Log in to the special considerations portal
  • select the application that contains the request(s) you'd like to withdraw
  • select 'Withdraw'. This does not withdraw the entire application. Instead it takes you to a screen where you can select the specific requests that you'd like to withdraw
  • select the assessment request that you'd like to withdraw, provide a reason and select submit.

If you submit your withdrawal before a consideration has been applied, the status for that unit of study will change to 'Withdrawn' and you will receive an email.

If you submit your withdrawal after a consideration has been applied, the status will change to 'In Progress' and you will receive an email once a decision on your withdrawal request has been made.

Appealing a decision

If you feel you have genuine grounds to contest a decision or the form of consideration granted, you may apply to have the decision reviewed.

You will need to follow the University’s three-stage academic appeals process. Each stage is managed by a different unit within the University. You will need to make sure you submit your appeal to the correct unit, depending on the stage of your appeal. Before your prepare or submit an appeal, you may wish to seek advice and support from one of the independent student organisations.

  1. Informal resolution request

    The first step you should take is to submit an informal resolution request, in writing. Find out more on the Resolution with original decision-maker page. You’ll need to submit the form in the Special Consideration portal.
  2.  Formal appeal

    If your concerns can’t be resolved through the original decision-maker, the next step is to submit a formal appeal to the academic panel. Find out more on the Appeal to the Faculty or Academic Panel page.
  3. Appeal to the Student Appeals Body 

    Lastly, if you believe that due academic process has not been followed in reaching your formal appeal outcome, you can make an appeal to the Student Appeals Body (SAB). Find out more on the Appeals to the Student Appeals Body (SAB) page.

Replacement exams

If you have been assigned a replacement exam as part of your special consideration outcome, you should visit the Replacement exams page for more information.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 13 July 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.