Australians studying overseas

Heading abroad? Get set for take-off with OS-HELP and Australian Mobility Grants

If you’re one of our domestic students and are conducting some of your studies overseas, you may be eligible for assistance.

Our funding schemes could make all the difference to your overseas study experience – allowing you to immerse yourself in the academic and cultural life of another country.

Endeavour Mobility Grants

Endeavour Mobility Grants cover the following programs:

  • Asia Postgraduate Program (AP) – study in Asia for postgraduate short-term and semester study placements
  • Study Overseas Short-Term Mobility Program (STMP) – study globally outside of Asia for undergraduate and postgraduate short-term study and placements
  • International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) – study globally outside of Asia for undergraduate and postgraduate semester study and placements under formal student exchange partnership agreements
  • Endeavour Cheung Kong Student Exchange Program (ECKSEP) – study in selected Asian countries (China and Hong Kong are priority) for undergraduate semester study and placements under formal student exchange partnership agreements.

Eligibility and how to apply

You can find out more about the Endeavour Mobility Grants on the Australian Government’s website, or you can contact the Sydney Abroad team.

New Colombo Plan

The New Colombo Plan provides grants for annual University project submissions that support undergraduate students to undertake semester-long or short-term overseas programs in 40 host locations in the Indo-Pacific regon. This includes short-term study, practicums, clinical placements, internships/mentorships and short-term research.

Eligibility and how to apply

The mobility study undertaken overseas needs to be a mandatory course requirement or study you can credit towards your degree. You can visit the Australian Government website or contact for more information.

OS-HELP loans

OS-HELP is a loan available to eligible students enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place who want to undertake some of their study overseas. OS-HELP can be used for a range of expenses such as airfares, accommodation and other travel or study expenses. It gets added to your HECS debt. 

You can receive one loan per six-month study period and two OS-HELP loans over your lifetime. Find out more about OS-HELP loans on our current students website.

Other funding for exchange students

If you are currently enrolled at the University of Sydney, and you're looking for funding to study overseas (on exchange), the following scholarships and loans are also worth investigating:

Sydney Abroad

  • Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

More information

Lean more about OS-HELP Study Assist