Overseas student health cover

Insure against illness and accidents while you study in Australia

What is overseas student health cover?

Overseas student health cover (OSHC) is insurance that covers your expenses when using public health services such as going to the doctor at the University Health Service, or attending a public hospital. 

It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This cover needs to be arranged about the same time you accept your offer to study.

There are a few students who may be exempt – see exemptions below.

Waiting periods apply for some health treatments. Higher-level cover, which can give you access to private hospitals, for example, is your responsibility.

Buy OSHC through the University of Sydney

We can arrange OSHC for the duration of your Australian visa through the University of Sydney's preferred provider Bupa Success Overseas Student Health Cover. If you finish your studies early and your visa is no longer valid, you can obtain a refund for any unused portion of your OSHC.

The University will then schedule your first payment to Bupa, and will advise the Australian Department of Home Affairs on your behalf.

Please note that you will be personally responsible for all future renewal payments to Bupa OSHC.


If you insure through the University then you consent to us disclosing your relevant personal details (for example, your family name, given name, sex, date of birth, start date and campus code) to Bupa OSHC so your cover can be registered.

Order your membership card

When you arrive in Australia, you’ll need to arrange for your OSHC membership card to be posted to your residential address. To do this, order your card on the Bupa website Login to myBupa - Members Login | Bupa. You should receive your card within five business days.

Bupa representatives on campus

If you have any questions about your insurance or membership card, you can speak with Bupa representatives on Level 4 of the Wentworth Building from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Buy OSHC independently

If you already have valid OSHC or if you wish to buy it independently from an approved provider, please complete the appropriate section on your Acceptance of Offer and do not include the OSHC amount in your first fee payment to the University of Sydney.

You can purchase your health cover through one of the additional Australian Government-approved providers:

If you choose to purchase OSHC independently you need to provide evidence of your OSHC membership when you submit your Australian student visa application.


The cost of your cover will depend on your circumstances and the duration of your stay. 


Membership of a health insurance scheme in your home country does not exempt you from paying OSHC. There are special inter-governmental arrangements that cover you whilst you study in Australia. For information on such arrangements, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have appropriate health cover arrangements in place for the duration of your studies. If you require OSHC, check the two options above to arrange OSHC through the University or independently.

Students holding Australian Government scholarships (such as Australia Awards) have their health insurance cover paid directly to Allianz Global Assistance.

Non-student visas

Study abroad or exchange students arriving in Sydney on non-student visas (such as the 417 Working Holiday Visa), are not eligible for Overseas Student Health Cover.

However, we still strongly recommend you purchase comprehensive insurance before you depart for Australia. Our preferred insurance provider, Bupa, offers overseas visitors health cover for students not eligible for OSHC.

More information

More information about what is covered through the health cover can be found in the Bupa information sheet below, or refer to the Department of Health or Bupa Success.

Bupa Success Overseas Health Cover

Bupa Success Overseas Health Cover
590 KB

*For Students that have Allianz coverage organised by the University of Sydney, please contact the Allianz team through the following link Overseas Visa Health Insurance | Allianz Care Australia. Allianz team will continue to provide the same level of support to our students. You can also contact them on Contact Us at Allianz Care | Allianz Care.