In this section, explore the importance of Totems – natural objects which individual group members are responsible for – and find out how Totems define a person's role within a group.
- Reciprocal responsibilities and the value of individual skills within a team/group.
- Look at your home community and the place of the Aboriginal community – what is their role in that community?
- When have you have worked in a team? What were the problems you experienced and how might a Totem system improve your team work?
- How did Aboriginal people learn their roles and responsibilities?
- Aboriginal Totem system and why it is important.
- How historical policies and practices in the Aboriginal community have broken connections and what it means for Aboriginal communities.
- Lack of acknowledgement of Aboriginal peoples' skills in mainstream Australia.