Designing your future

2 August 2019
Student internships provide real-world experience and accelerated learning
Our students are working with industry leaders across the built environment and digital design to deliver projects of impact, and put what's been learned in the classroom into practice.

The School's undergraduate programs lead to a variety of career pathways, with many opportunities for industry internships available to broaden your creative and professional thinking.

By engaging in work experience, you can make a head start on your career, during your degree.

Our students and recent graduates share some of the benefits of engaging with industry through their personal success stories.

Develop your capabilities

Sophie Gardner
Bachelor of Design Computing

“My Design Studio tutor works for Google and encouraged me to apply for an internship, which led to the opportunity to work as a user experience designer on the Android Google Maps team, collaborating with researchers and engineers to design new products and features.

The internship provided countless benefits. It’s helped me to understand the kind of job I want.

"Being able to apply what I’ve learned in my degree has been very rewarding and it was a great opportunity to learn new things at an accelerated rate.”

Work on projects with impact

Nicoletta Andreou
Bachelor of Architecture and Environments

“In my first year I was extremely fortunate to intern at Arup in the firm’s Integrated Design and Planning Team as well as working closely with their International Development Team. This was made possible through CareerTrackers, an Indigenous Leadership program.

Nicoletta Andreou, Bachelor of Architecture and Environments

"This internship has helped with my confidence and design capabilities, and allowed me to work on projects that mean a lot to me, including a tool that can be applied to urban regeneration work and act as a guide and roadmap for acknowledging country, as well as the Global Program for Safer Schools.

"Although it seems daunting adding work to study, it has definitely been a highlight. Work experience is invaluable, and you’ll always be learning and developing skills that will help you in not only your professional career, but personally as well." 

Open doors to future career options

Nathan Judges
Bachelor of Design Computing

"Through the Graduate Internship elective, I interned at FOX Sports Australia’s head office where I was lucky enough to work with the Senior UX Designer and Senior UI Designer.

The work I did at FOX Sports built upon the core concepts within my degree, and it was amazing to see the work that we do as students scaled up through the opportunity to put my knowledge into practice at a large corporation.

"The internship has given me confidence for future pursuits, and opened up doors for my professional career, as I made a lot of great connections with the design team and have been provided with invaluable career advice."