the view of plane and sky from a window aeroplane sit

Studying Dual Degrees

Answers to all your frequently asked questions
What are dual degrees? How is it different from a double degree? Like to know more about the opportunity to study overseas? Or what the application process involves? Here, we’ve got all the answers in this FAQ.

What are dual degrees?

Short answer: Two degrees in less time, with a partner institution abroad.

Dual degrees are two combined coursework degree programs, one offered at the University of Sydney and the other at a partner institution, which:

  • enables you to count a specified number of credit points towards the requirements for both award courses; and
  • results in a lower volume of learning than if the two degrees were taken separately.

Bachelor dual degrees are 4 years full-time requiring 2+2 years of full-time study comprising of 2 years at the partner institution and 2 years at the University of Sydney. Dual degrees are only available to domestic and international students with a full-time attendance pattern.

Do I have to study overseas in these degrees?

Short answer: Yes.

After completing the first two years of study abroad at the partner institution, immersing yourself in the culture, you will relocate to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Sydney to continue your third and fourth year of studies.

What if there are travel restrictions preventing me getting overseas to study?

Short answer: Remote online learning.

Some partner institutions are planning on a return/have returned to face-to-face teaching. Nonetheless, some students might find themselves restricted in their capacity to travel to the partner institution, and thus unable to join their overseas campus in person. These students will have access to distance learning for the time that is necessary before their arrival on campus.

Do I need to speak the language?

Short answer: No.

Courses are taught in English, although you may select a language as your language proficiency increases. For language studies, if available at the partner institution, pathways are available for applicants with no prior language experience, as well as for those with prior experience in the respective language of study.

What is the workload like?

Short answer: It can be heavy.

Credits at most European universities are standardised in ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System).

The standard load for most European universities is 30 ECTS per semester (where each credit point requires 25-30 hours of face-to-face classes and private study). However, some students often complete up to 40 ECTS per semester. Be aware that this is a very heavy workload, and you will need to exercise sound discipline and time management to stay on top of your studies.

Are there scholarships?

Short answer: Yes.

Domestic students can apply for funding and scholarships including:

How to apply?

Short answer: Not through UAC.

Prospective students must apply directly to the University of Sydney for admission into dual degrees and not through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Dual degrees are highly competitive and admission to a program is determined jointly by the University of Sydney and the partner institution, based on criteria which may include:

  • A secondary education qualification with the minimum academic results required for the dual degree
  • Submission of a statement of motivation
  • CV and academic transcripts
  • Panel interview via teleconference
  • English language requirements

You may also be required to submit an additional application to the partner institution, so be sure to check the ‘Admission requirement’ and ‘How to apply’ sections on the respective Sydney Courses pages below.

What can I study?

Banner image: Photo by Eva Darron on Unsplash.

Related information