Internet of Things tree

Preparing for the technological world of tomorrow

The advanced computing degree offering unlimited opportunities
Develop the creativity, originality and fast problem-solving skills that are growing in demand with the University of Sydney’s Bachelor of Advanced Computing, one of Australia’s most unique computing degrees.

Do you want to build the next virtual reality app downloaded by millions or cutting-edge software that's adopted by industry?

Or maybe you simply have dreams of working with technology in the field of artificial intelligence or the Internet of Things?

Whatever your career aspirations, our Bachelor of Advanced Computing will get you there, providing future computer scientists with the principles and programming techniques to build the systems behind emerging technologies.

You’ll be able to combine learning programming languages such as Python, Java, C and C++ as you specialise in one of the degree’s four dedicated majors: Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software Development and Computational Data Science.

You also have the freedom to combine your computer-related major with more than 100 shared pool majors from across the University the Sydney, allowing you to explore a wide range of different study areas including design, geography, music and business analytics.

We caught up with current students Matthew and Barbara to find out why they chose to study the Bachelor of Advanced Computing.

Matthew Phang Ming Hao

Matthew Phang Ming Hao 

What attracted you to the Bachelor of Advanced Computing?

The Bachelor of Advanced Computing has provided me with the core computing content without being too restrictive in specialisations during my first year.

This meant I could start the course while still deciding what to branch out into after the first few months.

Which majors did you decide to elect?

I’ve been sitting on the fence for a while trying to decide whether to do Computer Science or Software Engineering as a major. Because I would like to work in artificial intelligence, I’ve opted for the Computer Science major as I feel it provides a better foundation for that.

The best thing about the Bachelor of Advanced Computing degree is that it allows me to study a second major in an area completely different to computing.

I’m considering selecting either Mathematics or Music as my second major as I have a general interest in both. Despite knowing that I want to graduate and pursue a career in computer science, by doing a second major outside of this area, I can get the best of both worlds.

What are some of the hands-on experiences you plan on undertaking as part of your degree?

My plan is to undertake an internship every summer at different companies, so that I’m exposed to different cultures and can start applying what I’m learning in my degree to real-world settings.

How do you think the Bachelor of Advanced Computing will prepare you for your career?

While I don’t have any set plans on what exactly within artificial intelligence I want to do, I know that the Bachelor of Advanced Computing will provide me with the core skills to succeed and a well-rounded perspective.

Barbara Wang

Barbara Wang

I wanted to find an undergraduate degree that allowed me to create different programs to reach the broader community and help solve impossible problems.

The Bachelor of Advanced Computing offers first-year students insights into the different majors available in our second year.

As a high school student, I wanted to have a better understanding of each area before deciding which one to pursue.

Which majors did you decide to elect?

I’ve listed to enrol in the Computer Science major next year because it’s an area which challenges me to reinvent all the devices I use daily. As I’m studying a combined Bachelor of Advanced Computing and Bachelor of Commerce, my second major will be from the pool of majors offered by the Sydney Business School.

I’ve always had a passion for commerce, especially after studying economics in high school. By combining commerce with the Advanced Computing degree, I felt like I could explore a greater number and the more specialised aspects of business.

I’m really excited about the prospect of being involved in some upcoming hackathons which will help me improve my coding skills and introduce me to other people who have similar computing interests.

The Bachelor of Advanced Computing is providing me with both the technical and soft skills required to excel in the workforce.

I’m planning on working in a tech company that’ll enable me to think creatively while collaborating with different kinds of industries on projects which will reach millions of people.

15 November 2018