Nicky Gluch: Master of Music (Musicology)

11 October 2018
Researching conducting in the 21st century
Now in her final year of study, Nicky is completing a Master of Music (Musicology) with the hope of becoming a conductor. We caught up with her to find out what it’s like to study at the Con.

My area of research

I am researching conducting in the 21st century. I chose this area as I am hoping to become a conductor, so I’ve been able to marry my research with my training and experience.

The highlight of my studies

One of the highlights of my time at uni is speaking at the Musicological Society of Australia conference when it was held at the Con. It tied in with the Con’s 100th birthday Celebrations in 2015 and I felt very privileged to be there, especially as a new student.

My advice to prospective students

The Con is small, but there’s a lot that goes on. Milk it for what it’s worth. Attend masterclasses by visiting musicians, even if they aren’t ‘in your field’. Attend concerts and enjoy being somewhere where music is made every day. 

What’s next?

Currently, I’m looking forward to attending two conferences that relate to my research. I’ll be speaking at Oxford, something I still can’t believe. So much can happen in two years!

Life after graduation

I hope to go on to PhD studies as I’d love to conduct or teach in a university one day.