Conservatorium graduate Alexis Weaver teaching music to a group of young children
Careers_

How I found my rhythm as a digital composer

7 August 2023
As part of our Find Your Rhythm profile series, we catch up with artist, composer and educator Alexis Weaver, who has forged an innovative path at the leading edge of digital composition.
Black and white headshot of Alexis Weaver

Con alumna Alexis Weaver.
Image: Jessica Blunt

Alexis Weaver’s passion for composition has been the driving force of her eclectic and multidisciplinary career. From composing for podcasts to premiering works at the Sydney Opera House and conducting academic research, no two days are alike for the Sydney-based artist, composer and educator.

“Music has always played a huge role in my life,” affirms Alexis.

“From early childhood, I played various instruments, performed musical theatre, sang in choirs, and finally discovered the joys of composing in late high school.”

Reflecting on the end of her school years, Alexis remembers how she came to the decision to pursue music as a career.

“At the end of high school, I had to make a hard decision between science and music; but when push came to shove, I realised I wouldn't be happy if I didn't try to succeed in music first,” she remembers.

Alexis obtained her Bachelor of Music (Composition) degree from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, where she also completed a Master of Music.

“If it weren't for my Bachelor of Music at the Con, which exposed me to so many musical influences and composition methods, I would not have discovered my love for electronic music and sound,” she says.

“This led me down a career path I never could have expected, or even known was available!”

A studio headshot of Alexis Weaver with electronic music equipment

Alexis Weaver has forged a career at the intersection of music and science.
Image: Kopi Su Studio

Since graduating, Alexis has built a career that combines her love of both music and science.  She has found success as a composer for various mediums, including animation, film, live performance and podcasts. She also lectures in composition, teaching students about writing and producing music with computers and emerging technologies.

Alongside this work, Alexis is also contributing to ground-breaking research at the intersection of music and science communication. She has worked with Nanosonic Stories, an interdisciplinary research team at the University of Sydney’s Nano Institute, and is currently pursuing a PhD at the University’s School of Chemistry, examining the role of music and sound design in science communication.

“Every year has brought a new direction for my music. I feel like a completely different artist to what I did even three years ago!” says Alexis.

“Starting to compose more 'mainstream' electronic music for podcasts led me - in a very roundabout way - to my PhD topic, in which I'm more or less investigating different ways to communicate information through words and sound.”

Alexis is also finding great success with her artistic work, with premieres coming up this year at both the Venice Biennale and the Sydney Opera House.

“These works present huge artistic challenges for me, but I hope I'll learn a lot.”

A selfie of Alexis Weaver at work on her laptop

From academia to artistic projects, no two days are alike for Alexis

For future students of music, Alexis’ journey showcases the boundless possibilities within the music industry. For those aspiring to follow a similar path, Alexis imparts valuable advice.

“As much as possible, be open to collaborating with artists and professionals outside of your immediate musical circles,” she emphasises.

She encourages students to be open to collaborating with artists and professionals outside of their immediate musical circles, as these collaborations can lead to unforeseen opportunities and profound learning experiences.

“You might be surprised by the opportunities and learning that comes out of projects like these. If you feel your musical interests and goals changing...don't resist it! This is artistic growth - and it's supposed to happen.” 

Ready to find your rhythm in music? Discover your study options.

More 'Find Your Rhythm' stories