Skip to main content

Transcripts and academic records

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) authentication

COVID-19 update: changes to document authentication

If you would like your documents authenticated for DFAT, you can send your documents in the mail. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, we have suspended our in-person services at the Student Centre. 

Authorising documents for DFAT

If you are providing documents such as your academic transcript or degree certificate (testamur) to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) they will first need to be signed by an authorised staff member here at the University.

Only the following documents can be authorised:

  • academic transcripts
  • certificates of graduate status
  • degree certificates
  • confirmation of enrolment notices
  • letters issued by the Student Centre. 

Other documents must be notarised by an Australian Notary Public.

Send your documents in the mail 

If you would like your documents authenticated for DFAT, you can send the original document as well as a stamped self-addressed envelope to us at the address below. Please be aware that DFAT no longer accepts photocopies of any documents. 

Student Centre
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building G02
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006

Legalising documents for use overseas

Australian documents being used overseas sometimes need additional government legalisation to ensure that they meet the requirements of foreign governments. DFAT provides an authentication and apostille service for this purpose.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 03 August 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.