Skip to main content

Understanding your fees

Higher degree by research

If you applied for a higher degree by research (HDR) course, you may have been offered a place under the Research Training Program (RTP).

The Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships are provided by the Australian government to support both domestic and international students undertaking postgraduate research degrees.

For domestic students the Government funds your research via a RTP fee offset scholarship. This can cover up to a maximum of four years full-time equivalent study for a doctorate by research and two years of full-time equivalent study for a master’s degree by research.

If you exhaust your RTP entitlements, you may be required to pay fees upfront to the University. The University will assess the fee payment requirement on semesterly basis. If you are charged fees, you can opt to pay upfront or if eligible apply for a FEE-HELP loan.

For international students, if you were offered a place under the Research Training Program (RTP) funding is in the form of an RTP scholarship scheme providing tuition fees offset and living cost stipend.

Find out more about the Australian Government Research Training Program scholarships.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 23 May 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.