A career driven by a thirst for knowledge and desire to serve

10 October 2023
Graduate Bill Woods reflects on his century of life experience
Dr Bill Woods has spent a lifetime caring for others, which began with a Bachelor of Medicine from the University of Sydney.
Dr Bill Woods

Dr Bill Woods celebrated his 102nd birthday

After recently celebrating his 102nd birthday, Dr Bill Woods reflects on his early life studying at the University of Sydney, and his expansive career working in medicine.

Bill grew up heavily influenced by watching the day-to-day practice of his father, a doctor, who worked out of his family home in Goulburn.

“I don't remember anyone asking me if I wanted to become a doctor,” says Bill.

“I actually had no idea what I was going to do.”

However, with a father, grandfather and three uncles also in the profession, Bill followed in the family tradition and enrolled in medicine at the University of Sydney shortly after finishing high school.

In 1941, Bill to put his studies on hold due to World War Two. He joined the Australian Field Ambulance in the 2/14 Light Field Ambulance and the First Armoured Division.

His passion for medicine only grew stronger due to his time serving in the War.

“I came home with a strong desire to help others to live long and healthy lives,” says Bill.

With his steadfast attitude to make an impact on people’s lives, Bill returned to the University of Sydney in 1945.

“I have lifelong memories and friends from my time studying at the University of Sydney,” says Bill.

“I lived in St Paul’s College and really enjoyed the social events that were held there, such as the dances.”

Dr Bill Woods

Dr Bill Woods as a student in 1946 (second row, fourth in from the left)

Bill completed his Bachelor of Medicine in 1950 and began putting his passion into practice as a Resident at Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney.

In 1952, while also studying a Diploma in Therapeutic Radiology, he worked as a Registrar at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Radiotherapy.

In 1954, Bill decided to travel to London as part of a working holiday and to sit for the Fellow of Royal College of Radiologists (Radiotherapy) exam.

He put his skills to good use by working for his passage as the Assistant Surgeon onboard the ship Orion

“It was while working in London that I looked up a family friend from Goulburn, Joan Chisholm Sendall,” remarks Bill.

“Not too long after meeting, we were married in Essex”.

After a few years in London, and with two sons in tow, Bill and Joan returned to Australia.

He spent a short time working at the Royal Adelaide Hospital as Assistant Director of Radiotherapy where he and Joan had two more children.

The family of six eventually returned to Sydney in the 1960s so Bill could take up the role of Director of Radiotherapy at Royal North Shore Hospital.

In 1977, Bill was made Director of the new Radiotherapy Department at Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga.

“At Sydney Adventist Hospital I worked to treat people impacted by cancer using radiography and oncology,” says Bill.

“I spent 20 years using my knowledge and skills to help as many people as I could to achieve better health outcomes”.

Bill’s thirst for knowledge continued on into his retirement and in 1983, he decided to try something very different.

“I had a growing interest in medical hypnotherapy, so I went back to the University of Sydney and gained a Diploma of Hypnosis,” reflects Bill.

With his latest qualification in hand, and as his father had done, Bill set up a successful practice based in his home at Wahroonga on Sydney’s North Shore. 

“Being able to retrain in hypnosis, after already having had such a long and enjoyable career in medicine and radiotherapy, was a real highlight for me” says Bill.

“It was so wonderful to be able to return to the University of Sydney 40 years after later to fulfil this goal”.

Bill’s hypnotherapy practice helped those with a range of issues including anxiety, phobias, depression and addiction to smoking.

After a lifetime of service to the community, we wish Bill all the very best in his 102nd year, and beyond.