Skip to main content

Change your course

Internal course application

New fee and completion rate requirements for course transfers

New tuition fees and completion rate requirements have been introduced for certain students who seek an allowable course transfer (including course upgrades and downgrades) or internal course transfer. These changes impact students in Commonwealth-supported places, and students who defer part or all of their student contribution to HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP.

Read our Job-ready Graduates Package page to understand what these changes mean and how they’ll impact your studies.

If your transfer is not an allowable course transfer visible in Sydney Student you will need to make an internal course application directly to the University (not through UAC).

You will need to meet the entry criteria for your chosen course. Find out more about these requirements in Find a course.


This option is only available to currently enrolled, undergraduate award course students, as well as international higher degree by research students.

If you are a non-award or cross-institutional student and wish to change your course, you will need to make a new application through Find a course.

If you are a postgraduate student and want to change to a course that is not an allowable course transfer, you will need to make a new application through Find a course.

If you want to apply for transfer into the combined Bachelor of Advanced Studies, you will need to apply before you have completed 120 credit points in your current single degree course. If you have more than 120 credit points, then you should finish the single degree and then apply for the appended honours course.

If you're applying to change to one of the following Bachelor of Music courses, you will need to register for an audition and an interview, as part of your internal course application process.

You should complete the following steps.

  1. Complete your internal course application.
  2. Register online for an audition and an interview directly to the Conservatorium of Music from 1 April to 17 September.
  3. Check your email for a confirmation of your registration from the Conservatorium.
  4. Follow specific audition requirements (in the Undergraduate pre-admission and audition requirements PDF*) to prepare your audition or portfolio.

Once you have registered for your audition, you will receive communication from the Conservatorium before and after the audition round. Visit the Sydney Conservatorium website for more information.

* The content of this PDF file is subject to change.

If you’re currently enrolled in a three-year course and want to change to a combined degree, we will issue a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment with your change of course and course duration. It will also result in a change to your student visa and you will be responsible for any associated costs.

If you are currently on a student visa (Subclass 500), your visa condition 8202 requires you to maintain enrolment in a CRICOS registered course that is at the same level as, or at a higher level than the registered course for which they have been granted a student visa for. If you wish to proceed with applying for and accepting a lower AQF level course, you will be required to apply for a new student visa upon acceptance. We will enable your enrolment into this course only when the new visa is granted. See the Department of Home affairs website for more information about checking visa details and conditions.

If you are applying to change to the Bachelor of Visual Arts or Bachelor of Visual Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies, you will need to submit a portfolio of your artwork to SCA as part of your internal course application process. Find out more information about portfolio requirements. 

When to apply

Applications for Semester 1 2024

The majority of internal course applications open on 2 October 2023 and close 12 January 2024, although there are some exceptions.

We encourage you to apply early, as internal course applications may close earlier due to strict quota restrictions.

Courses with earlier exception application deadlines

Course Applications close date
Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (513970) *  5 December 2023
Bachelor of Design in Architecture (513115) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Design in Architecture (Honours)/Master of Architecture (513120) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) (513620) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) (513635) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy) (513640) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) (51364) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) (513906) 29 December 2023
Bachelor of Oral Health (513970) 29 December 2023

*You will be required to submit a commitment form at the time of application and complete the Casper test. For more information please visit the course page. Email the completed statements to admissions undergraduate domestic at

How to apply

Log in to Sydney Student and go to ‘My studies’, ’Course details’ then ‘Internal course application’.

Here you will be able to view the courses available for the upcoming semester intake. You need to select the new course name and indicate whether you would like to apply for credit.

Once you have submitted your application we will email you with instructions on how to apply for credit.

Make sure you're aware of any course-specific admission requirements that you need to complete as part of your internal transfer application, such as a commitment statement, Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA) or interview. Additional requirements can be found in Find a course.

You will only be able to submit up to two internal course applications at one time.

If you were unable to apply in Sydney Student

If you experienced problems or errors when you tried to apply in Sydney Student, first check:

  • when to apply - you won't be able to request changes outside these dates
  • whether the change you're trying to make is:

Be aware that not all courses are available in both Semester 1 and Semester 2. If you're still experiencing problems, you can submit a request through the course management form.

Assessing your application

The way we assess your application depends on the study you have undertaken so far.

If you have completed less than 48 credit points of tertiary study, we will use the qualification you used to gain entry to your current course, usually your ATAR or equivalent.

When you have completed 48 credit points or more, if your performance is better than your results used to gain entry, we will use this to assess your application instead.

If you entered your undergraduate degree under one of our admission pathways, any benefit you gained in addition to your ATAR does not carry across to your new application.

What happens next

You can view the status or cancel your application in Sydney Student (go to ‘Applications’ then ‘My application’).

In most cases, we will need to wait for your current semester results to be released before making you a new offer. For Semester 1, offers are usually made after semester results are released in early December up to the closing date. For Semester 2 entry, offers will be made in early July. For both semesters, if your new course has a guaranteed ATAR and you achieve this, you may receive an offer earlier.

If you have applied for credit, you will need to wait until we've assessed your credit application before you receive an offer for your new course.

If successful, the duration of your new course may be shortened, depending on the amount of transferable credit you are granted from your previous studies.

If you decide to take up your new offer you will need to wait until you've received your results for the current semester and then discontinue from your current course. Only when you've received your results and discontinued from your current course can you then enrol in your new course.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 22 August 2023

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.