Skip to main content

Discontinue your course

If you’ve decided to withdraw entirely from your current studies, you will need to discontinue your course. This ends your current enrolment and removes you from any units of study you are enrolled in. If you wanted to continue your studies at a later time, you would need to submit a new application to the University.

Depending on when you choose to discontinue your degree there may be financial and academic penalties that you should be aware of.

If you’re transferring or have been given an offer to a new course, you’ll need to apply to discontinue from your current degree and enrol in your new course after your results are released.

Before you discontinue


Get some advice

It’s a big decision to discontinue your course, so we recommend you first seek academic advice from an Academic Advisor in your faculty or school, to help understand what this change will mean for you. If you are an international student and have student visa related enquiries, contact our Compliance Officers at for advice. You may also want to discuss your decision with the Careers Centre.


Understand the financial and academic implications

Make sure you’re aware of the important dates and deadlines associated not only with your course but also your units of study (as their census dates may vary).

Depending on when you discontinue, you may face academic and/or financial penalties. Find out more about timing of dropping units.

It is important for you to make any necessary changes to your study as early as possible. If you’re receiving government payments you also need to tell the Australian Government about any changes to your study.


Consider suspending your studies as an alternative

If you’re unsure about your decision you may choose to apply to suspend your studies while you work out the best way forward.

We are required to notify the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) within 31 days of you discontinuing your studies. We will cancel your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) which will affect your ability to stay in Australia under your current student visa. You will need to contact the DHA within 28 days to arrange an alternate visa, or return to your home country.

If you discontinue your enrolment in the first six months to take up an offer at another university, you’ll need to get a release.

If you have a scholarship, are a postgraduate research student supported by the Research Training Program, or are receiving any financial assistance from the University, your payments will stop after you discontinue your course.

If you discontinue your candidature in the Bachelor of Laws, you cannot be re-admitted to the degree as it does not exist as a standalone degree. It is only offered as part of a Combined Law program. If you later decide to re-apply for admission to a qualifying law degree at Sydney Law School, you will need to apply for admission to the Juris Doctor. You will not be eligible for credit for any law units taken as part of an undergraduate law degree.

Request to discontinue

You can request to discontinue your course through Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Discontinue your course’).

You’ll be asked to confirm that you have sought academic advice, and to provide a reason for your discontinuation.

If you have issues discontinuing your course in Sydney Student, you can submit a request using the course management form.

What happens next

You can view the status of your application or cancel your request in Sydney Student (go to ‘My requests’).

We will email your University student email account once your request is approved. You will automatically be removed from your course, and be withdrawn from your units of study or receive a grade of DC or DF.

In some situations, you may be eligible to apply for a refund of your fees.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 23 November 2022

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.