Skip to main content

Tuition fees

Commonwealth supported place

Most commencing domestic undergraduate students are offered a Commonwealth supported place (CSP).

This means that your course fees are subsidised by the Australian Government and you pay the remainder as a ‘student contribution’.

To be eligible for a CSP currently you need to:

  • be an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or the holder of a permanent visa
  • meet the relevant citizenship and residency requirements.

Eligibility criteria and legislation can change. See the Study Assist website for details.

How much will I pay?

Your student contribution will depend on your units of study and the amount charged for each.

The Government groups different areas of study into ‘bands’ and then sets a minimum and maximum amount that can be charged for each. The University then sets the student contribution amount for each band within this range, as seen in the table below.

On 19 June 2020 the Government announced its intention to make significant changes to higher education funding through the Job-ready Graduates Package. The package proposes changes to the student contribution bands for new students who enrol with a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) after 1 January 2021. The proposed changes include ‘grandfathering’ arrangements for Commonwealth supported students who commenced their course before 1 January 2021, however these students may also be affected in some circumstances. Find out more about the proposed changes to higher education funding

Student contribution amounts for 2021 are not yet available and are subject to the Government's proposed funding changes which have not yet been passed by Parliament, as outlined above. 2020 rates are available below, and we will update this page with the 2021 student contribution amounts when they are available.

Area of study 2019 Cost 2020 Cost
Band 1
Humanities, behavioural science, social studies, foreign languages, visual and performing arts, clinical psychology, education, nursing
$6566 $6684
Band 2
Mathematics, statistics, computing, built environment, other health, allied health, science, engineering, surveying, agriculture
$9359 $9527

Band 3
Law, accounting, administration, economics, commerce, dentistry, medicine, veterinary science

$10,958 $11,155

The cost shown is the annual student contribution amount for an equivalent full-time student load (48 credit points) within each band.

This maximum student contribution amount applies to students who commence their course of study on or after 1 January 2010, regardless of the course of study. Students who commenced their course of study prior to 1 January 2010 will be subject to the previous national priority maximum student contribution amount (indexed). In 2020 this amount is $5348.

Estimate your fees

You can estimate your student contribution by using the amounts in the table to calculate the cost of each unit of study you’re enrolled in.

For each unit of study:

  1. Express the unit as a fraction of 1 EFTSL.
 For example, one six-credit-point unit of study will be 6 over 48 (or 0.125).
  2. Multiply the fraction by the student contribution amount for the relevant band. For example, an arts unit of study worth 0.125 would be multiplied by the Band 1 student contribution ($6444).

This gives you the total student contribution payable for that unit of study. For example, 0.125 x $6444 is $805.50.

Remember, if you’re taking units of study across multiple faculties, you will most likely need to use multiple student contribution bands.

Visit Study Assist for more information about your student contribution amount.

Double degrees and combined degrees

For Commonwealth supported students enrolling in a double or combined degree, your student contribution amounts for the postgraduate degree may be higher than the undergraduate degree, depending on the area of study. Some combined programs also have a difference between the fees for each degree in the program. When you are calculating the likely total cost of your course please carefully factor in this price difference.

Check the tuition fees for your specific course in Find a course.

Commonwealth support form and HECS-HELP

If you are enrolling in a Commonwealth supported place, you need to complete and submit a Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form by the relevant census date.

If you don’t submit this form, your enrolment as a Commonwealth supported student will be cancelled.

Most Commonwealth assistance forms are provided to you during the online enrolment process. You can also access these forms through Sydney Student (go to 'My finance', 'Your finances', then 'Government forms').

If you’re enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place, you will either pay your student contribution up front or if eligible, defer all or part of your contribution through HECS-HELP.

Student Centre

Limited service

As a precaution, we’re currently closed for in-person enquiries.

Read our latest COVID‑19 advice


1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.


Last updated: 07 September 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.