Apply as an international student

How to submit your application to study in Australia
Applying for universities can seem overwhelming, but we're here to guide you through the application process for undergraduate and postgraduate coursework degrees. Follow this step-by-step guide on how to apply as an international student and study in Australia with us.

You are an international student if you are not an: 

  • Australian or New Zealand citizen (or dual citizen)
  • Australian permanent resident
  • Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder
  • Pacific Engagement visa holder.

The process below applies to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework applications - find out how to apply for an honours or research degree.

General process

Use our course search to browse our wide range of courses. Use the filters to search by degree level and area of interest, then click on a course to find out more about: 

  • what you'll study
  • admissions criteria
  • application deadlines
  • potential career paths. 

You might want to bookmark the course page, as you'll be referring back to it as you prepare your application.

Inherent requirements

When choosing a course, you should see if it has any inherent requirements (this will be noted on the course page). These usually apply for courses that are preparing you for a career where you will be working closely with people or animals.

They aren't assessable admissions criteria, but are required for you to successfully complete the course. Researching the inherent requirements will allow you to make an informed decision about the course/career.

For all courses, you will need to demonstrate that you: 

  • meet our English language requirements. If you have completed a recognised English language test, the required score can be found on the right hand side of the course page (found in step 1).

For all undergraduate courses, you will need to demonstrate that you:

For all postgraduate courses, you will need to demonstrate that you: 

  • have completed a recognised tertiary qualification. Details can be found on the specific course page and could include previous study in the same field, or an advertised minimum GPA.

You should also check the course page for any additional admissions criteria. This may include: 

  • a prerequisite, such as previous studies in mathematics
  • an interview
  • a portfolio
  • assumed knowledge
  • relevant professional experience.

We require official documents to support your application, including a scanned copy of your passport identification page.

Other documents you may need include:

  • English language results
  • academic transcripts
  • degree certificates (testamurs)
  • scholarship documentation
  • marriage/change of name certificate.

If your course requires a supplementary application form, this will be listed on the course page. 

Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by a complete English translation made by an accredited translator with a government body or the Registrar of the issuing institution.

Applicants from the People's Republic of China may be required to provide a China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) verification of their academic documents.

If you are applying for a student visa, the University reserves the right to request additional information regarding the government's genuine temporary entrant requirement. This may be requested after your application is submitted, and could include an additional application form seeking clarification about your personal circumstances and/or an interview.

Before applying, you should understand the fees you will need to pay. These include:

You should also research financial support options that may be available to you. We have a wide range of scholarships available for international students, and some countries also provide education loans to their citizens.

Apply directly

Most international students can apply directly to the University. To do so, select the 'Apply now' button on your course page to commence your application, and follow the prompts. 

This short video provides an overview of the application form. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our regional experts, who can provide personalised advice. 

To submit your application, you will need to pay an application processing fee.

If you are applying with the New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA Level 3), you may apply direct to the University or via UAC.

Apply through an authorised agent

Some students choose to apply through an authorised University of Sydney agent, for assistance with the university application and visa arrangements. Please note that only agents listed on our website are authorised to represent us.

Apply through UAC

You will need to apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC), if you are an undergraduate student studying:

  • a current Australian Year 12 qualification (eg NSW Higher School Certificate) in or outside Australia, or
  • a current International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in Australia.

If you are applying with the New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA Level 3), you may apply via UAC or direct to the University.

Apply for Sciences Po Dual Degree

If you are applying for a Sciences Po Dual Degree, you need to apply directly to the University of Sydney (even if you are applying through UAC for your other preferences).

Optional steps

You may be able to have related study or work experience credited to your degree, meaning you won’t have to repeat similar units and could graduate sooner. This may be available for equivalent:

  • Units of study taken at another recognised university or higher education institution.
  • Qualifications from a higher education institution or vocational education and training institution approved by the University.
  • Relevant work experience (only available in certain postgraduate degrees).
How to apply
  • If you are applying directly to the University, you can apply for credit as part of your course application.
  • We will assess your credit after a decision is made on your course application.
Types of credit available

The following types of credit are available:

  • Specific credit: this is credit granted for a specific unit of study when you’ve previously undertaken its exact equivalent at another institution.
  • Non-specific credit: when there is no equivalent unit of study here, credit may be considered for a certain number of credit points at a specific level.
  • Reduced volume of learning (RVL): for some postgraduate courses, this form of credit is used to reduce the number of credit points needed to complete the course based on a relevant previous qualification or work experience.

You may also be eligible to apply for a waiver, if the unit you’ve completed is substantially similar to a University of Sydney unit, but credit cannot be given. Unlike credit and RVL, waivers don’t reduce the duration of your award course and you’ll need to complete another unit in its place.

International articulation pathways

The University has international articulation pathway arrangements with selected overseas universities, polytechnics and colleges. These formal arrangements can help fast-track your studies by providing you with credit towards your degree. If your institution and program is listed, credit will be awarded as part of the application of admission. A separate application for credit is not required.

Please note:

Accepting credit can change your study load, fees or course duration. This may also affect your government assistance eligibility and full-time concession benefits.

If you are required to maintain a full-time study load at all times, you need to be aware that accepting credit could reduce the duration of your student visa.

We offer a number of scholarships for international students.

Most of these scholarships have separate application forms and deadlines. Be sure to check the eligibility criteria and application requirements on the individual scholarship pages.

What happens next?

Once your application has been assessed, you will receive an email from the University or UAC (depending on how you applied) with the outcome.

Conditional offer

We will sometimes issue a conditional offer - this means that you may need to satisfy certain criteria such as academic and English language conditions before you can be issued with an unconditional offer. You will need an unconditional offer before you can proceed through the next steps.

To satisfy the conditions of your offer, log into your Sydney Student Portal, select ‘Manage documents’ and upload any documents requested in the conditions listed in your offer letter.

You will receive an email from the University with instructions on how to accept your unconditional offer online. Offers are accepted through the Sydney Student portal.

You must then pay your fees, which includes the semester tuition fee and overseas students health cover (OSHC). The type of health cover you need will depend on your visa type.

Once you've paid your fees, you will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE), which is used to apply for a student visa


International students guide

Register to receive your downloadable guide to our courses, admission criteria, and application process.