Skip to main content


Graduating in absentia

Semester 2 graduation ceremonies will proceed in December

In light of the relaxing NSW public health orders, and after extensive consultation with students, we will be proceeding with on campus ceremonies in December for all students who were scheduled to graduate in Semester 2 2021, subject to public health orders.

All students with ceremonies in December have been invited to a ceremony by email.

If you are unable to attend a graduation ceremony in person, you will be able to watch a live stream of your ceremony. We are also exploring other ways we might celebrate your achievements, including hosting a graduation celebration event in 2022.

Vaccination and entry requirements
If you’re coming to campus for a ceremony, you and your guests will need to follow our COVID safety precautions. This includes being able to show proof that you are fully vaccinated or have evidence of a negative COVID test within three days prior. Find out more about how we are keeping our campus COVID-safe.

If you’re unable to attend your graduation ceremony, you will graduate in absentia. This means the University will automatically put you forward for conferral, the process where you are awarded your award course at the University.

Your degree will be conferred on the date outlined in your graduation invite.

Receiving your graduation documents

If you RSVP ‘no’ in your invite, your documents will be posted to the preferred address nominated in your Sydney Student account. The documents will be posted within four weeks of conferral. You will receive digital access to your documents within 2 days after conferral.

If you do not RSVP to the invite, we will send your documents to the preferred address nominated in your Sydney Student account. Make sure your address is up to date at least a week before your graduation.

Request to graduate in absentia early

If you know in advance that you will not be able to attend your ceremony you may be able to have your degree conferred by requesting to graduate in absentia early. If you request to graduate in absentia, then you will not be able to attend a ceremony in Sydney.

Here are a few examples of where applying to graduate in absentia early may be of interest.

For graduates seeking professional registration (e.g. Vet, Dentist, Doctor of Medicine), job application, international students returning home, application for further studies, or a visa application.

We will send your documents to the address nominated in your request.


Before you request to graduate in absentia early, you need to have received your completion letter and paid any outstanding debts to the University.

All appeals need to be lodged before your degree is conferred. If you have lodged an appeal, you will need to withdraw from the graduation or conferral process until your appeal is finalised. Find out more information about the appeals process.

When you need to apply

Applications for 2021 are closed. Applications for 2022 are provided in the table below.

You can submit a request to graduate in absentia early through Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, then ‘Assessments’).

You need to submit your request by the request deadlines. We will confer your degree according to the date we receive your request.

Request received by

Conferral date (this date will be printed on your testamur)

Monday 10 January 2022 Monday 24 January 2022
Tuesday 11 January - Monday 7 February 2022 Monday 21 February 2022
Tuesday 8 February - Monday 7 March 2022 Monday 21 March 2022
Tuesday 8 March - Monday 25 July 2022 Tuesday 8 August 2022
Tuesday 26 July - Monday 22 August 2022 Monday 5 September 2022

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 08 December 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.