Skip to main content

Health services

Comprehensive and accessible healthcare facilities are available to all students on campus.

  1. Health services
  2. Making an appointment

Health services

COVID-19 update: our services have been affected

Our first priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff. Please do not come into the practice if:

  • you have returned from overseas or Victoria in the last 14 days
  • you have visited a known COVID-19 hotspot
  • you have a fever, cough, cold, sore throat or shortness of breath. 

Instead, get in touch by phone and our receptionist can advise you. If you have any of these symptoms you should be tested for COVID-19 infection. Find your nearest testing clinic.

Telephone consultations are available. Some will be bulk-billed as per Medicare guidelines, others will be charged a fee of $40 which is not claimable. Please check with our receptionist when booking your appointment.

We also have limited face-to face-consultations, which can be booked online. All patients attending the University Health Service are required to provide and wear a face mask until further notice.

Unfortunately, we can only accept new patients that are current students or staff of the University.

Medical centre

Our University Health Service is located on level 3 of the Wentworth Building on the Darlington Campus.

Here we offer experienced general practitioner and emergency medical care services, including:

  • treatment of illness, injury and other physical problems
  • routine health checks
  • travel health advice and vaccinations
  • women’s health
  • advice on contraception and sexually transmitted diseases, including HPV
  • referral for pathology testing
  • assistance with emotional and personal difficulties
  • sports medicine and referral to specialists
  • clinical psychologist
  • advice, screening and vaccination for students undertaking study or placements associated with health risks
  • advice and assistance for students with examination difficulties
  • special arrangement for students with disabilities
  • referral to X-ray services
  • diving medicals.

The surgery is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm during the teaching year.

University Health Service provides vaccinations by appointment for:

Appointments are now available at the University Health Service for the COVID-19 AstraZeneca vaccine.

  • Phase 1B - for people aged 70 years and over, and people aged 50 years and over with chronic health illnesses
  • Phase 2A - for people aged 50 years and over

Find out more and check your eligibility on the Australian Government Department of Health website. You can also contact the University Health Service on 9351 3484 to check your eligibility and book an appointment for the Covid-19 AstraZeneca vaccine.

After hours and emergency care

In a medical emergency dial 000 and ask for an ambulance. Be ready to give the location of the person(s) needing assistance.

If you need urgent medical attention, attend the emergency department of the nearest public hospital. The closest public hospital to the Camperdown/Darlington campus is the Royal Prince Alfred (RPA) Hospital.

If you need general practice care after hours, please attend General Practice Casualty at the Balmain Hospital. For after-hours home visits, call Sydney Medical Service on 8724 6300.

Finding a local GP

If you're located on a different campus or you'd prefer to see a GP off campus, you can use Healthdirect website to find a GP near you.

  • If you are unwell or have health concerns you can see a type of doctor called a General Practitioner (also known as a GP) as your first point of contact.
  • You can speak to a GP about all your health concerns, including mental health and sexual health.
  • You can make an appointment to see a GP at medical centres in the community or at the University of Sydney Health Service.
  • If your condition requires more attention, a GP may refer you to a specialist. A specialist is a medical doctor who is an expert in a specific area of medicine. You will need a referral letter from your GP to see the specialist, explaining why the GP wants you to see them.
  • Any information you share with a doctor or specialist is confidential.
  • You go to a hospital if you have a serious illness or injury that needs urgent medical care. This is called a medical emergency.
  • For medical emergencies phone triple zero (000) and ask for an ambulance. The ambulance will transport the person to hospital if needed.

Find out more about the different types of healthcare available and how you can access them on the Healthdirect website. You can also learn more about Overseas Student Health Cover and how this works.

Other healthcare services

The following services are available on our Camperdown and Darlington campuses:

  • Counselling - professional and confidential psychological and mental health services are free and available through our Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS).
  • Chiropractic - services for chiropractic, wellness and remedial massage based at the University of Sydney.
  • Physiotherapy - the Sports Clinic offers services including physiotherapy, sports medicine, podiatry, massage therapy, acupuncture, exercise physiology and dietetics.
  • Dentistry - Campus dental, based in the Wentworth building and providing an extensive range of dental services including preventive dentistry, teeth whitening and orthodontics.
  • Optometry - Chris MacMahon optometrist, offering professional advice and guidance in the choice of lenses and optical eyewear.

University Health Service

  • +61 2 9351 3484 (Wentworth)
  • +61 2 9351 4110 (Wentworth)
  • Butlin Ave, Level 3 Wentworth G01
Opening hours

8.30am - 4.30pm, Monday to Friday (except on public holidays).

Last appointment 4pm.

Last updated: 03 June 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.