Skip to main content

Applying for honours

Managing your honours

Mode of attendance

Your honours program will usually be completed full time. Depending on your program, in some cases if you are unable to complete full-time study you may be able to take the honours program part time. Discuss your options with your supervisor.

If a change is allowed for your program, you can then apply to change your mode of attendance.

Suspend honours

If you want to suspend your honours, you will first need to discuss this with your supervisor or honours coordinator. If permission is given, you can request to suspend your studies through Sydney Student.

Discontinue honours

If you're considering leaving your honours program, you should first discuss this with your supervisor.

If you are in a stand-alone honours program, you will need to request to discontinue your honours program through Sydney Student.

If you are completing an embedded honours program, you will need to get academic advice about returning to your pass degree. Depending on how far through your honours program you are, you may not have completed all the necessary pass degree units of study and this may affect your graduation date.

Combined Bachelor of Advanced Studies

If you are completing the combined Bachelor of Advanced Studies you can withdraw from honours through Sydney Student (go to ‘Course details’, then ‘Withdraw from Advanced Studies honours’).

As part of the task you will be asked to confirm that you have contacted your supervisor and provide their email address.

Student Centre

Limited service

As a precaution, we’re currently closed for in-person enquiries.

Find out more about our service


1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444


Last updated: 27 July 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.