Top tips from the Sydney Abroad Fair

Study abroad and exchange FAQs
From global destinations to current applications, the annual Sydney Abroad Fair explores it all. Here are the top tips and Q&As ahead of the 2023 Sydney Abroad Fair.

When can I actually study overseas?

With international travel well and truely back, Sydney Abroad is here to support in-person global programs for students in a safe and equitable way. Students can generally go overseas on exchange as early as their second year, and in come cases, for short-term programs over the summer and winter break, in their first year. You can view the short-term and semester programs currently open.

Am I eligible?

Eligibility can vary depending on the global experience you are looking to pursue (e.g. semester/short-term programs). Generally speaking, you need a weighted average mark (WAM) of at least 50 and and at least 24 credit points completed by the time you appl. All the relevant eligibility requirements can be found on the Student Website. You will also need to meet any additional host country or institution requirements about language or WAM.

Units and subjects overseas

The units you complete will vary depending on your degree and the global program you wish to undertake. If you undertake a short-term program (usually 2-6 weeks over the summer/winter breaks), you can decide whether or not to receive credit. Generally speaking, the longer your program, the more credits you may be able to earn towards your degree. 

Throughout the semester exchange process, Sydney Abroad and Faculty Services Mobility work together to provide guidance around which units you will need to undertake before, during, and after your global experience. Contact your academic adviser to find out how you can fit a global experience into your degree. 

How much does it all cost?

The cost of a global experience is impacted by your destination, cost of living, accomodation preferences, extra travel, flights and more. When it comes to the cost of study, this differs depending on whether you undertake an exchange or non-exchange program. As an exchange student (on a short-term, semester, or even year-long basis), you'll remain enrolled and continue to pay tuition and SSAF fees to the University of Sydney for the duration of your program.

For non-exchange programs - which typically short-term - you enroll and pay tuition fees directly to the partner institution or program provider. There are many Sydney Abroad scholarships and Faculty-specific scholarships available. If you hold a commonwealth supported place within your course, you may be eligible for an OS-HELP loan.

I can only speak English

Proficiency in a language other than English is not always required. In fact, it really depends on whether or not you wish to complete units in a different language. Most of our partner institutions and programs offer courses in English, so language proficiency is not always a requirement unless you're seeking it out. To study in another language, you will have to provide evidence of proficiency which will be required when you apply.

Updated February 2023

27 October 2021