Standards, induction and documentation
Information for planners, project managers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, tenants, managing agents and more.

These design standards, forms, guidelines and signage manuals must be used by consultants and contractors for design, documentation and construction of buildings, facilities, services and infrastructure owned, occupied and/or managed by the University of Sydney.

All planners, project managers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, tenants, managing agents and University staff must conform to requirements in these documents when designing, constructing, operating or maintaining existing and proposed University buildings and facilities.

The documents set out the University of Sydney's minimum requirements for the design, construction and maintenance of buildings, facilities, spaces, services and infrastructure. They aim to deliver a built environment:

  • that has high quality, is fit-for-purpose and made from durable good-quality materials
  • that is functional, reliable and serviceable
  • that is flexible and accommodates growth and change
  • that is sustainable and constructed from environmentally preferable materials
  • that is energy and resource efficient
  • provides for safety and security
  • has minimum life-cycle costs, including capital, operating and maintenance costs.

Applicable requirements documented in Workplace Health and Safety legislation, Disability Discrimination legislation, State Environmental Planning legislation, Commonwealth and state legislation, National Construction Codes (NCC), the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and Australian and New Zealand Standards (AS/NZS) are the minimum and mandatory compliance requirements. 

Where any ambiguity exists between these documents and the aforementioned mandatory requirements then:
a. the highest performance requirements must apply
b. applicable requirements must follow this order of precedence.

  1. Workplace Health and Safety legislation
  2. Disability Discrimination legislation
  3. State Environmental Planning and Assessment legislation
  4. All other Commonwealth and state legislation
  5. NCC and BCA
  6. AS/NZS
  7. This standard and other University standards
University of Sydney Design Standards 

These design standards must be incorporated into contract documentation. They must be referred to by the revision number and issue date listed on the cover of each of the documents.

All requests for technical clarification on any information contained in a standard must be made in writing to the issuer of the standard, as shown on its cover page.

  1. Documentation Standards (pdf, 1.3MB)
  2. Mechanical Services (pdf, 662KB)
  3. Building Management and Control Systems (pdf, 1.17MB)
  4. Communications Cabling Standards (pdf, 5.2MB)
  5. Cabling Parts List (pdf, 401 KB)
  6. Electrical Services (pdf, 1.87MB)
  7. Lighting Services (pdf, 796KB)
  8. Vertical Transportation Standard (pdf, 334KB)
  9. Essential Fire Safety Measures (pdf, 650KB)
  10. Hydraulic Services (pdf, 662KB)
  11. Roofing and Guttering (pdf, 2.34MB)
  12. Landscape (pdf, 3.7MB)
  13. Advanced Utilities Monitoring System (pdf, 5.5MB)
  14. Excavation (pdf, 559KB)
  15. Sustainability Standard (pdf, 169KB)
  16. Sustainability Framework (xlsx, 11MB)
  17. Building and Architecture Standard (pdf, 645KB)
  18. DDA and Access Standard (pdf, 1.8MB)
  19. Solar PV Standard (pdf, 1.75MB)
  20. Private Water Supply (pdf, 257KB)
  21. Asset Identification and Labelling Standard (pdf, 419 KB)
  22. O&M Manual Standard (pdf, 1.82MB)
  23. Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) Standard (pdf, 263KB) 
  24. Building standards for learning spaces (pdf, 1.6MB)
  25. Campus Design Objectives framework and report (pdf, 2MB)
  26. Façade standard (pdf, 600KB)

The following forms may be referenced in Design Standards and must be used by project managers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, tenants and managing agents.

Sustainability Standard Submission Templates

These guidelines will be revised and issued as University Design Standards in due course. Please check with the relevant Project Manager for clarification on the current version of these documents and their applicability.

  • Asset Barcode Register
  • Asset Codes
  • Asset Registration
  • Asset Registration Template
  • Building Design Guidelines
  • Grounds Design Guidelines
Signage manual

Signage across the University must conform to the following.

  • The Internal Signage Manual (pdf, 8.2MB) provides guidance on our standard approach to the use of information and wayfinding signs on campus. The manual provides integrated and accessible information through consistent typography, graphics, sign types, and placement. All internal signage is designed to be modular, flexible, and cohesive in form and graphic standards. The manual also requires the design of signs to be compliant to integrate with external signage.
  • The External Signage Manual (pdf, 4.1MB)
    documents external information and directional signage for the Camperdown and Darlington campuses. The document sets out design parameters, types and locations of signs, the entire system and hierarchy of signage, sign schedules, graphic standards, and construction drawings.
  • The Interpretive sign guidelines (pdf, 672KB) is a framework for the provision of signage which details the history, identity and other interpretative information relating to a place, site, function or event that occurred in the general location of the sign.

The University of Sydney is committed to providing a safe working environment. This commitment extends to all contractors, subcontractors and suppliers of services to our campuses and properties. 

The Contractor Online Induction has been developed to outline the requirements of contractors undertaking works (construction, maintenance, etc.) for or on behalf of the University.

As a prior condition to commencing any work within one of our campuses, contractors are required to complete the Contractor Online Induction (please follow the steps below) to ensure an understanding of the University’s WHS management systems and to provide specific rules for working on site. 

By completing this induction, it is intended that everyone working within the University will be able to play their role in maintaining a safe workplace for all.

Any failure to follow these rules can result in:

  • you or others around you being harmed or suffering injuries
  • your immediate removal from the site
  • your company’s removal from the University
  • your company’s removal of the University’s Contractors List, and
  • you and/or your company being fined and/or prosecuted by WorkCover.

To complete the Contractor Online Induction, please follow the steps below:

Note: You will be required to enter licence and trade certificate information during the registration process, so please have the details ready.

  1. Register online
  2. Following your successful online registration you will be automatically logged into the induction system (CareerPath).
  3. You will receive a system-generated email that contains your user name for future access to the system. You can log in here
  4. Complete the online induction. It may take up to an hour to complete.
  5. A pass mark of 80 percent or better is required.
  6. Once you have successfully completed the induction, you can collect your Contractor ID Card from the G12 Services Building reception.

Note: Your Contractor ID Card will be available for collection two business days after you complete the induction.

Technical requirements 

While this induction runs on most web browsers, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are the recommended browsers. Disable the pop-up blocker on your browser before starting the induction program.

Contractor identification cards

Contractors are unable to proceed with works on any University of Sydney campus or property without successfully completing the online induction.

Contractor identification cards can be collected from:

University of Sydney 
Services Building (G12)
Level 1, 22 Codrington Street
NSW 2006

When you come to collect your contractor identification card please ensure you bring photographic proof of identity, as a final security check. We then take a photo of the contractor and print the card with the photo on it.

Please note: Contractors from our campuses outside of Sydney can download a PDF certificate of completion from the induction system to use as evidence of having completed the induction if they are unable to collect the induction card.

Contractor Induction Handbook

The Contractor Induction Handbook is a downloadable PDF file of the information provided in the Contractor Online Induction. Download a copy for your reference.

Download the Contractor Induction Handbook (pdf, 1.41MB).


Where can I collect my Contractor ID Card from?
Your Contractor ID Card can be collected from:
University of Sydney 
Services Building (G12)
Ground Floor, 22 Codrington Street
NSW 2006

When can I collect my Contractor ID Card?
You can collect your Contractor ID Card two (2) business days after successfully completing the online induction.

Will I receive an email confirming that I have completed the induction?
No, the system will not send you an email confirming that you have completed the induction. However, you will be notified at the end of the induction as to whether you have passed or not. If you have not passed, you will be invited to redo the induction.

What is Career Path?
CareerPath is the University’s learning management system (LMS) and is used to deliver training to University Employees. Central Operations Services (COS) and University Infrastructure (UI) utilise CareerPath to deliver the Contractor Induction training to contractors.

I cannot remember my password, what should I do?
Should you require a password reset, you can contact the university’s IT department (ICT) on 02 9351 6000. Notify them that you are a 'self registered' user of CareerPath and that you require a password reset. It will be helpful to provide them with your user name/Contractor Number. It may take ICT up to 24 hours to process a request to reset your password.

I’ve logged into CareerPath, where is the induction?
When you log into CareerPath you will be directed to the home page. On the right-hand side of this page is a section called 'My Training'. The Contractor Induction is located within this section.

I’ve logged into CareerPath but the induction won’t open.
The Contractor Induction is designed to open in a new browser window. Some internet browsers have a pop-up blocker enabled by default. The pop-up blocker can normally be disabled in the following places:

Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy

Mozilla Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Content

Google Chrome: Settings (Show Advanced) -> Privacy -> Content Settings -> Pop-Ups

Safari: Preferences -> Security

These Standards apply to all of University Infrastructure (UI) and Campus Operations Services (COS) activities, operations and services provided in the capacity of a Professional Services Unit.
They apply to all UI/COS staff, visitors, affiliates, consultants and contractors.

These Standards do not apply to works undertaken or commissioned by other University faculties, schools or units.

For further information in respect to these standards, please contact:

This partners site provides access to a wide range of documents and process to assist Campus Operations Services (COS) and University Infrastructure (UI) partners with their work while at the University. ​​​Contractors can find on this platform information such as the hazardous materials reports, evacuation diagrams, or roof reports. The site also redirects to resources like the online contractor induction, handbook, and design standards.

It is also from this site that contractors can access the permit to work system or submit WHS statistics.

To access the partners site, contractors must use a personal or organisational Microsoft account, authorised by COS or UI.

To obtain access, email the relevant COS or UI safety advisor to receive an invite:

University Infrastructure (UI) & Campus Operations Services (COS):

  1. The invitation email you will receive contains a unique link that allows you to get access to the Partners Site with the Microsoft Account of your choice. Open the invitation email and click on the ‘Partners’ link.
  2. You will need to use a Microsoft Account to access the Partners Site:
    a. If your organisation has Microsoft 365 enabled, click on ‘Organisational Account’ and log in using your work account.
    b. If your organisation does not have Microsoft 365 enabled, you can either use an existing Microsoft account by clicking on ‘Microsoft Account’ or create one.
  3. You now have access to the Partners Site with this account. Click this link to access the site.

Permits to work are required for undertaking certain types of work. A new process on SharePoint has been developed to manage certain permit types. Other permit types will still require hard copies and physical signatures, however, in time, all permits will move onto the SharePoint platform.

Work permits are required for the following tasks:

The online SharePoint Permits to Work can be accessed on the partners site.

You may use your University email address and password to access this site. If you are a contractor, you may have to request access and create a personal or organisational Microsoft account. To request access, please refer to the section ‘partners site’ on this page.

The SharePoint Permits to Work application process involves three stakeholders and two consecutive approvals:

1. The Applicant, often an external worker to the University, must submit an application online, eg, a principal contractor, a hard/soft services contractor, a construction contractor, etc.

2. The application will be reviewed and approved or rejected by the Agent, a representative of the University dealing with the Applicant for the works eg, Project/Contract/Facility Manager/Managing Contractor. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to designate the correct Agent for the application.

3. The application is then finally reviewed and authorised, or rejected, by the Authoriser(s). An Authoriser is a University representative nominated to authorise permit applications. 

Works cannot start before authorisation of Authoriser(s).

Please contact the relevant Campus Operations Services (COS) or University Infrastructure (UI) safety advisor for further information.for further information.

You need to obtain authorisation from Central Operations Services before proceeding with a fire system interruption (fire isolation).

For all fire system interruptions, you need to submit an application for fire system interruption at least three working days before the commencement of the interruption. Authorisation will be provided in writing to the requestor once the interruption has been reviewed.

The interruption can only be performed by a project-appointed fire contractor or by the University Fire Services Maintenance Provider.

Application for fire system interruption

 This document outlines the minimum insurances that required by consultants and building contractors.

If a contract or agreement is to have Insurance less than the amounts outlinedby the document, then the lesser amount must be approved by the Director, Strategy and Assurance.

University infrastructure insurance requirements (pdf 114KB).

Archibus CMMS

Here are tools and resources to make it easier to use the Archibus portal, whether you're a staff member or one of our valued suppliers.