The course resolutions detailed in this page apply to all courses included in the table below under section 1 (course codes).
These resolutions must be read in conjunction with applicable University By-laws, Rules and policies including (but not limited to) the University of Sydney (Coursework) Rule 2014 (the 'Coursework Rule'), the Coursework Policy 2021 (the 'Coursework Policy'), the Learning and Teaching Policy 2019, the Resolutions of the Faculty, University of Sydney (Student Academic Appeals) Rule 2021, the Academic Honesty in Coursework Policy 2015 and the Academic Honesty Procedures 2016. Current versions of all policies are available from the Policy Register: https://www.sydney.edu.au/policies
|Code||Course and stream title|
|DLMUSICM-04||Diploma of Music|
The attendance pattern for this course is normally full time. Part time study may be permitted upon successful application.
(1) Admission to this course is on the basis of a secondary school leaving qualification such as the NSW Higher School Certificate (including national and international equivalents), tertiary study or an approved preparation program. English language requirements must be met where these are not demonstrated by sufficient qualifications taught in English. Special admission pathways are open for mature aged applicants who do not possess a school leaving qualification, educationally disadvantaged applicants and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Applicants are ranked by merit and offers for available places are issued according to the ranking. Details of admission policies are found in the Coursework Policy.
(2) In addition, admission to this course requires the applicant to:
(a) Present a portfolio of work and attend an interview, or
(b) Undertake a practical audition in a nominated instrument or voice.
(1) The units of study that may be taken for the course are set out in the Table of units of study for Undergraduate Degrees and the Diploma of Music table of units of study.
(2) To qualify for the award of the diploma, a candidate must successfully complete 96 credit points, comprising:
(a) 24 credit points of Principal Study units of study
(b) 18 credit points of Music Theory and Aural Skills units of study
(c) 12 credit points of Analysis, History, and Culture Studies
(d) 24 credit points as set out in the Pathway Tables for specific Principal Study areas
(e) 18 credit points of elective units of study
(1) Principal Studies are available in:
(b) Composition for creative industries
(c) Contemporary music practice
(d) Digital music and media
(e) Historical performance
(f) Jazz performance
(g) Music theatre performance
(h) Non-orchestral instrument performance
(i) Orchestral instrument performance
(j) Voice (classical) performance
Students enrolled prior to 2020 will be able to complete their degree under existing resolutions, or transfer to the 2020 resolutions and new degree framework if they so choose. Students in the pre-2018 degree pattern will have the full range of appropriate units of study available for them to complete their degree under the pre-2018.