Director, Systematic Reviews and Health Technology Assessment
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney
Professor Askie leads a team at the NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, which manages the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry, undertakes Health Technology Assessments for the Australian Federal Government, hosts two Cochrane Collaboration entities (Breast Cancer Review Group, Prospective Meta-analysis Methods Group) and has an extensive test evaluation research program.
Lisa’s clinical background is in perinatal medicine and she has worked in healthcare systems in Asia, Australia, UK and USA. She has Masters and Doctoral qualifications in epidemiology from Sydney Medical School, is a Senior Principal Research Fellow at the University of Sydney and has held an NHMRC Postgraduate Scholarship, a Sidney Sax Postdoctoral Fellowship, a Career Development Fellowship and currently, a Translating Research Into Practice (TRIP) Fellowship.
Prof Askie has a long standing interest in the conduct and methodology of clinical trials and systematic reviews, especially regarding increasing research transparency and reducing waste. She has been involved with the Cochrane Collaboration since 1996 as a systematic review author and trainer. Lisa is the co-convenor of the Cochrane Prospective Meta-analysis Methods Group and member of the Cochrane Methods Editorial Board. During her postdoctoral fellowship in Oxford Prof Askie undertook a meta-analysis using individual participant data from over 38,000 women. She and her team are currently involved in ten international individual participant data and prospective meta-analysis collaborations. Prof Askie has published over 80 scientific papers and is a member of various academic advisory boards.
Prof Askie's research interests are in systematic reviews, in particular individual patient data and prospective meta-analysis, clinical trials, trials registries and evidence based medicine. Her clinical areas of interest are perinatal medicine and paediatrics.
- TOPCHILD (Transforming Obesity Prevention for CHILDren). Looking into the black box of interventions, Seidler A, Mihrshahi S, Golley R, Hunter K, Johnson B, Staub L, Askie L, Taylor R, Chadwick P, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Ideas Grant
- Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR), Askie L, Office of the NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer/Research Attraction and Acceleration Program (RAAP)
- PAEAN: Preventing adverse outcomes of neonatal hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy with erythropoietin: A randomised controlled multicentre clinical trial, Liley H, Hunt R, Novak I, Askie L, Jacobs S, Battin M, O'Connell R, Wagh D, Cerebral Palsy Alliance Research Foundation/Project Grant
- Cord Clamping and Placental Transfusion at Preterm Birth: an individual participant data meta-analysis, Duley L, Askie L, Montgomery A, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Deferred Cord Clamping to Reduce Need for Neonatal Blood Transfusion, Askie L, Liley H, National Blood Authority/Project grants
- Resolving 60 years of uncertainty: oxygen targets in preterm infants, Askie L, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Translating Research into Practice (TRIP) Fellowship
- Prediction and prevention of spontaneous preterm birth: an Individual Participant Data Meta-Analysis comprising of prognostic and therapeutic data, Mol B, Askie L, Espinoza D, Hyett J, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Improving methods to evaluate evidence in support of public health guidelines to protect Australians from environmental health hazards, Bero L, Jay O, Allman-Farinelli M, Askie L, McKenzie J, Armstrong B, DVC Research/Sydney Policy Lab
- Maintain the National Clinical Trials Register, 01/06/2016 - 31/12/2017, Askie L, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Enabling Grants
- Centre of Research Excellence in the Early Prevention of Obesity in Childhood, Baur L, Moodie M, Askie L, Rissel C, Trost S, Campbell K, Hesketh K, Hayes A, Golley R, Taylor R, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Centres of Research Excellence
- RiNOP - Race effects of inhaled Nitric Oxide in Preterm infants, Askie L, INO Therapeutics LLC/Reseach Support
- Safer, faster, smarter: generating high quality paediatric trial evidence at the point of decision-making, Offringa M, Askie L, DVC Research/International Research Collaboration Award (IRCA)
- Oxygen saturation targets and outcomes in preterm infants , Carlo W, Askie L, National Institutes of Health (USA)/Research Support
- Preventing Adverse Outcomes of Neonatal Encephalopathy with Erythropoietin - the PAEAN Study, Liley H, Hunt R, Jacobs S, Badawi N, Novak I, Askie L, Battin M, O'Connell R, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Generating evidence of reduced rates of overweight/obesity in children: value adding to four established Australasian early intervention trials, Askie L, Baur L, Campbell K, Daniels L, Taylor B, Wen L, Hesketh K, Magarey A, Taylor R, Martin A, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Maintain the National Clinical Trials Register, 01/04/2012 - 31/12/2016, Simes R, Askie L, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Enabling Grants
- Translating Health Discovery Superscience, Askie L, Simes R, Therapeutic Innovation Australia Ltd/Infrastructure Grant
- Evaluating, adapting and extending individual patient data (IPD) methods of evidence synthesis, Askie L, Stewart L, Altman D, Duley L, Medical Research Foundation/Research Project Support
- Improving research evidence quality using individual patient data, prospective meta-analysis and trial registration, Askie L, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Career Development Awards
- Improving research evidence quality using individual patient data, prospective meta-analysis and trial registration, Askie L, DVC Research/Research Fellow Establishment Grants
- Cancer Trials Australia online Website, Askie L, Barratt A, Cancer Australia/Support for Cancer Clinical Trials
- Appropriate levels of oxygen saturation for extremely preterm infants: prospective individualo patie, Askie L, University of Sydney/Bridging Support
- Cancer Trials Australia-OnLine: A tool for cancer patients to find open clinical trials and consider trial participation, Barratt A, Tattersall M, Askie L, Crossing S, Butow P, Currow D, McGeechan K, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Establishment, maintenance and operation of The Australian Clinical Trials Registry, Wood L, Askie L, Simes R, Bayer Global/Project Support
- Antiplatelet Agents To Prevent Pre-Eclamsia - An Individual Patient Data Review, , National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Early Career Fellowships
- Which oxygen saturation level should we use for very premature infants? A randomised controlled trial, Tarnow-Mordi W, Cole C, Askie L, Morley J, Doyle L, Davis P, Cole C, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
- Australasian based Cochrane collaration review activities funding, Henderson-Smart D, Askie L, Roberts C, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care/Research Grant