Skip to main content

Suspend your studies

  1. Overview
  2. How to apply

How to apply

If you're currently enrolled, you need to submit your request by the census date of the semester that you are suspending for.

You can request a suspension through Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Suspend your studies’).

If you haven't re-enrolled, and think you'd like to suspend your studies, you need to be aware of the enrolment deadline for your course. If you haven't enrolled or suspended your studies before this deadline, your candidature will be lapsed, and your eCoE will be cancelled if you're an international student.

If you have any questions about your student visa conditions, contact our compliance officers by sending an email to or visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

If you want to suspend for more than one year (you can suspend for up to two years), you will need to provide an explanation/reason and supporting documents with your application so that they can be considered by the relevant associate dean.

If the census date has passed

You won’t be able to request a suspension in Sydney Student after the relevant census date. You'll need to consider dropping your units for the semester instead. This may result in financial and/or academic penalties.

What happens next

You can view the status or cancel your request in Sydney Student (go to ‘My requests’).

Once your request has been submitted through Sydney Student, we will email you to confirm suspension of your studies.

For suspension periods longer than one year, you will be advised if your suspension has been approved by the Associate Dean.

If you are a domestic (Commonwealth supported or fee-paying) student and are required to pay fees up front, you may be entitled to a refund.

Once you've suspended your studies, you won't have access to University resources and facilities, such as borrowing from the Library.

Recommencing your studies

When your approved period of suspension is nearly over, we will email you with instructions about recommencing your studies. You can recommence your studies by logging in to Sydney Student (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Request to recommence studies’).

You will need to complete your request to recommence studying before re-enrolment has closed for the semester so that you have time to re-enrol and confirm your units of study before last day to add.

If you need help suspending your course

If you encounter an error or have questions, you can submit a request through the course management form.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 13 June 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.