Skip to main content

Special consideration and arrangements

  1. Overview
  2. Eligibility and supporting documents
  3. When and how to apply
  4. What happens next

Eligibility and supporting documents

We assess your eligibility for special consideration based on your circumstances and the supporting documents you provide.

Your application cannot be submitted if it does not include any attachments of supporting documents. It is important you attach the right supporting documents or your application will be automatically declined and you will need to reapply.

Your supporting documents need to:

  • describe what happened in detail
  • demonstrate the impact of the circumstances on your academic performance
  • include the period of time which you were affected
  • be truthful and accurate
  • be in English
  • if you need to translate non-English language documents contact an accredited translation agency, such as NAATI.

You will need to provide documents as a pdf, tif, tiff, gif or png file. Word file formats (doc and docx) are not accepted.

Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of supporting documents as outlined in the table below.

Special consideration supporting documents

Check our Coronavirus advice page for information on applying for special consideration and documents required in these situations.

Exceptional circumstance Supporting documents
Short term illness or injury

Provide one of the following:

  • a current professional practitioner certificate (pdf, 320KB)
  • a medical certificate that contains the same information as a professional practitioner certificate. This includes indicating the degree to which your studies have been affected and period of time you are impacted.

Most registered medical/health practices offer medical certificates (by email) for online or phone consultations. If you are unable to obtain a professional practitioner certificate or medical certificate due to extenuating circumstances, you will need to provide a statutory declaration stating your illness or injury including the reason as to why you are unable to obtain a professional practitioner certificate or medical certificate.

Personal misadventure of a family member or close friend
  • Statutory declaration and appropriate supporting documents (for example an eviction notice or a police report).
Technical issue

Provide the following documents:

  • Student declaration which clearly outlines the nature of the technical issue, when it occurred, and what you did to try to resolve it
  • Document supporting the technical issue, such as one of the following:
  • screenshot or photo of error with timestamp
  • email from coordinator confirming the issue
  • ProctorU chat log with timestamp
  • email to or from Canvas tests with timestamp
  • shared Service Centre ticket.
Death of a family member or close friend

Provide the following documents:

If you are unable to obtain a professional practitioner certificate, include a statutory declaration outlining your circumstances, accompanied by supporting documents. Your statutory declaration needs to indicate how your ability to study has been impacted by your circumstances and when you expect to be able to complete your assessments or return to your studies.

Primary carer responsibilities

Provide one of the following documents accompanied by relevant supporting documents:

Attendance at a funeral of a family member or close friend
Natural disaster

Provide the following documents:

Circumstances preventing you from receiving supporting documents

Provide the following documents:

The student declaration should only be used in place of medical documents if there is evidence-based reason as to why you are unable to obtain a medical document from a professional practitioner.

Circumstances which are not eligible

Special consideration is not granted for circumstances that are considered reasonably foreseeable or avoidable, or within your control, such as:

  • public transport and traffic delays
  • predictable emotions such as nervousness and stress associated with assessments
  • personal events such as birthdays, weddings or travel plans
  • minor ailments or illness where you are still capable of completing assessments
  • balancing workloads from other units of study, disciplines or faculties
  • misreading or misunderstanding your timetable, Academic Plan or the unit of study outline
  • information and communications technology problems – except where they could not have been prevented, avoided or the effects minimised by reasonable diligence on your part.

Special consideration should not be used if you are unable to sit an exam due to a clash. Find out what to do if you have an exam clash.

Special arrangements supporting documents

Essential Commitment Supporting documents
Australian Defence Force or emergency service (including army reserve)
Employment of an essential nature (where the student has little or no discretion with respect to the employment demand)
Legal commitment
A copy of the summons, subpoena, court order or notice of selection for jury duty stating:
  • your full name
  • the reason for your commitment
  • date(s) of attendance required
If your legal documents do not clearly state the timeframe you were affected, you should submit a statutory declaration where the timeframe is outlined. The statutory declaration should also specify how your legal commitment has impacted your ability to study.
Parental or adoption commitments

A signed certificate on an official letterhead from a medical practitioner/midwife/relevant adoption agency stating:

  • expected date of birth/adoption
  • either the period of time when your ability to study or complete assessments will be limited, or when you expect you'll be able to complete your assessments or return to your study.
Religious commitments or beliefs
  • A signed and dated statement that includes your name, from your imam, pastor, rabbi or equivalent spiritual or community leader.
Sporting or cultural commitments representing the University, state or nation
COVID-19 assessments scheduled in a different time zone

Provide the following document:

  • student declaration specifying the time zone that you are currently residing in and the start time of your assessment.

What do my documents need to include?

Depending on the circumstances or essential commitment, you will need to supply specific supporting documents as outlined below.

Professional practitioner certificate

This certificate needs to be completed in full, signed and stamped by a registered medical or health practitioner who is not related to you. You can download and print the form (pdf, 320KB). The certificate needs to:

  • outline the duration (giving start and end dates) of impact
  • evaluate the degree of impact that the illness, injury or carer’s duties has had on your ability to attend classes and learn or to complete assessments.

Statutory declaration

A statutory declaration is a signed, written statement that allows a person to declare something to be true in the presence of an authorised witness. You'll need to use a NSW statutory declaration form and have it signed by a Justice of the Peace.

Your statutory declaration should include:

  • your full name and student number
  • a statement about the impact of the illness, injury, misadventure or essential commitment on your ability to attend classes, learn or complete assessment requirements
  • a statement describing the duration of this impact (including a start and end dates)
  • if your circumstances are of a sensitive nature, please indicate when you expect you will be able to complete your assessment or return to your studies. If you need more time at the end of this period, you can submit another application.
  • details of any group work that might be affected.

Obituary, funeral notice or funeral program

A dated obituary from a newspaper, a funeral notice or funeral program that includes:

  • the full name of the deceased person
  • the funeral date.

If you need to travel interstate or overseas for the funeral, you will need to provide supporting documents such as a travel itinerary or statutory declaration for the additional time you are away.

Eviction notice

The notice needs to include:

  • official landlord (if applicable) or residential agency letterhead
  • your full name
  • date of terminated tenancy
  • signature from appropriate representative
  • representative phone number
  • date the notice was created.

Police report

This is produced by the police and should include:

  • your full name
  • a claim number or charge sheet
  • a signature from police
  • a police phone number
  • the date the report was created
  • the date the incident occurred.

If a police report is unavailable when you submit your application, you will need to provide a statutory declaration that includes how the incident has affected your studies, along with a COPS event number, which is evidence a crime has been reported.

Official letter

This should be written on an official letterhead and needs to include:

  • your full name
  • the details of your unexpected commitments
  • the impact on your ability to study
  • a physical signature and phone number of an appropriate representative
  • the date the statement was created.

Student Declaration

In the student declaration you should describe the misadventure, illness or injury that you suffered and for how long. As Covid-19 restrictions no longer apply in most cities and countries, in most situations you should be able to be able to provide a professional practitioner certificate or medical certificate. The student declaration should only be used if there is evidence-based reason as to why you are unable to obtain a medical document from a professional practitioner. The conditions for making student declarations are outlined in the template. Be aware there are serious consequences for dishonesty in a Student Declaration.

Professional practitioner certificate

Download PDF

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 28 October 2022

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.