Three female students studying in a library

Commonwealth supported places (CSPs)

Pay less for your degree with a CSP
Receive a subsidy to study at a global top 20 university.* Save money and advance your career with a Commonwealth supported place in a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. No separate application is required.

What is a Commonwealth supported place (CSP)?

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) is a place at university where your course fees are partially subsidised by the Australian government and you pay a Student Contribution Amount. 

It means that you don’t pay the full course fees. The Australian government pays a portion, and you pay a smaller remaining amount.

Who is eligible for a CSP?

Both undergraduate and postgraduate students will be assessed for CSPs based on specific eligibility criteria relating to citizenship and resident status set by the Australian government.

  • Undergraduate students: Most domestic undergraduate students are eligible for a CSP. 
  • Postgraduate students: CSPs are available for some postgraduate courses. The number of places and applicable courses vary each year, based on government funding. They are allocated based on academic merit.  View our postgraduate courses with CSPs.

How do I apply for a CSP?

  • Undergraduate students: You do not need to apply separately for a CSP. All eligible students will be considered when you apply for admission via UAC. 
  • Postgraduate students: You will be automatically considered if the course you apply for has CSPs available. Some postgraduate courses have earlier closing dates to be considered for a CSP. Check your course details.

Find step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your course

How much will I pay for the Student Contribution Amount? 

The Australian Government groups each area of study into a band, and sets a range for the Student Contribution Amount within each band. The University then sets the Student Contribution Amount for each band within this range.

If you have a Commonwealth supported place in your undergraduate or postgraduate course, you may be eligible to defer your student contribution through HECS-HELP.

Postgraduate courses with CSPs

A limited number of CSPs are available for postgraduate courses, so it's best to apply early. Your letter of offer will tell you if the place you have been offered is a CSP.

Are other options available for full-fee paying students?

Undergraduate students: Most undergraduate courses have CSPs available, so you do not pay the full fee. The Student Contribution Amount can be deferred via HECS-HELP.  

Postgraduate students: If your preferred course does not offer CSPs or if you don’t receive an offer for a CSP, there are other options available such as FEE-HELP.

Further information on recent changes to fees

If you need information on student contribution amounts, visit Commonwealth supported places for current students.


6 ways to finance your postgraduate study

Find out how to reduce the cost of your tuition fees

From student loans, CSP and scholarships to HECS-HELP. Find out the best way to fund your postgraduate degrees and check your eligibility.

*QS World University Rankings 2024