Skip to main content

During 2021 we will continue to support students who need to study remotely due to the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 and travel restrictions. Make sure you check the location code when selecting a unit outline or choosing your units of study in Sydney Student. Find out more about what these codes mean. Both remote and on-campus locations have the same learning activities and assessments, however teaching staff may vary. More information about face-to-face teaching and assessment arrangements for each unit will be provided on Canvas.

Unit of study_

BMET1960: Biomedical Engineering 1A

Biomedical Engineering 1A introduces students to the exciting interdisciplinary field of Biomedical Engineering through lectures from experts in the key thematic areas of Biomedical Engineering, and practical hands-on training that every Biomedical Engineer needs to know. Areas you will cover include: (i) Medical Imaging; (ii) Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering; (iii) Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology; (iv) Medical Devices and Sensors; (v) Biomechanics and Computational Biomedical Engineering; (vi) Biomanufacturing; and (vii) Bionics and Neuromodulation. You will also complete two major assignments. Assignment 1 is the BMET1960 CANNES (creatively argued no-nonsense ethics scenarios) Film Festival, in which you will develop a persuasive position on a biomedical ethical scenario with your peers and present it creatively in a video. In Assignment 2 you will explore one of the areas of Biomedical Engineering that interests you and present a hypothetical "game-changing" technical report for the field. The quizzes, assignments and exam make up 60% of the total assessment. The remaining 40% comprises practical work (the Manufacturing Technology Workshop) involving a range of hardware and software skills vital to your future work as an engineer. We hope this introductory unit stirs your passion and interest in the exciting field of Biomedical Engineering!

Code BMET1960
Academic unit Biomedical Engineering
Credit points 6
ENGG1960 OR ENGG1800 OR CIVL1900 OR CHNG1108 OR MECH1560 OR AERO1560 OR MTRX1701 OR AMME1960
Assumed knowledge:
HSC Mathematics Extension 1 (3 Unit)

At the completion of this unit, you should be able to:

  • LO1. generate a concise engineering report
  • LO2. develop a persuasive position on a real, ethically challenging scenario in biomedical engineering and creatively present this position to peers and supervisors
  • LO3. develop basic skills in engineering drawing, specifications and computer aided design
  • LO4. develop and articulate a design and development process for a medical device
  • LO5. develop basic machining and hand tool skills for biomedical engineering
  • LO6. gain a working understanding of microcontrollers (Arduino) and how to implement such a device in a simple biomedical project
  • LO7. understand what Biomedical Engineering is as a discipline and how it relates in a professional context to the medical devices industry and healthcare sector
  • LO8. understand and relate the key anatomical and physiological systems for medical device applications: (1) support and movement, skeletal system and muscular system; (2) control systems, nervous system; (3) regulation and maintenance; cardiovascular system
  • LO9. understand and relate the key concepts, goals and challenges of some of the major themes of biomedical engineering: imaging, biomaterials and tissue engineering, nanotechnology and medicine, computational biomedical engineering and bionics
  • LO10. understand the current state-of-the-art in some of the major themes of biomedical engineering: biomechanics, tissue engineering, bionics, medical imaging, nanotechnology, nanomaterials in medicine, biomanufacturing, computational biomedical engineering and mechanobiology
  • LO11. understand and apply ethical principles and regulations as they relate to biomedical engineering research and industry
  • LO12. understand how regulatory affairs relates to biomedical engineers and their work and apply key principles to biomedical scenarios
  • LO13. understand some of the key mathematical concepts, tools and tasks in the major themes of biomedical engineering: imaging, biomaterials and tissue engineering, nanotechnology and medicine, computational biomedical engineering and bionics
  • LO14. be able to identify and quantify design risk and risk mitigation
  • LO15. design, describe and justify a rigorous scientific experimental approach to solve a biomedical engineering problem.

Unit outlines

Unit outlines will be available 2 weeks before the first day of teaching for 1000-level and 5000-level units, or one week before the first day of teaching for all other units.