To apply for a PhD, you need to demonstrate sufficient prior research experience and capability. In most cases, you will have either:
- a bachelor's degree with first or upper second class honours or
- a master's degree performed at a high academic standard, and which includes a substantial component of research
- an equivalent qualification that demonstrates research experience, excellence and capability.
These are the minimum requirements for eligibility but they do not guarantee admission. That remains at the discretion of the Associate Dean (Research Education) for the faculty.
Please refer to the University of Sydney (Higher Degree by Research) Rule 2011 for full policy details.
Transfer from University of Sydney Master of Philosophy
Outstanding candidates who successfully complete one year full-time or equivalent part-time of the University of Sydney Master of Philosophy degree may apply for transfer into the Doctor of Philosophy and be granted credit for work already completed pending:
- approval from the supervisor and school
- meeting all higher degree by research progression requirements
- providing evidence that their research is of a sufficient scope and depth to sustain a doctoral thesis.
Credit for previous study
For more information about the University’s credit policy, please see the Credit for Previous Studies page.