Skip to main content

Handbooks and course rules

You need to be aware of the rules and unit of study requirements needed to complete your course. You can find this information in your faculty or school handbook, as well as the policies and procedures related to your study at the University.    

Enrolment and handbook webinars
If you’re a new student, join our series of webinars that cover how to enrol and understanding your handbook. You'll also have the opportunity to ask questions. These one hour sessions run in June and July. Register online now.


You will find information on the course rules and unit of study requirements specific to your course in your faculty or school handbook.

When planning your studies, refer to this handbook to make sure you meet the specific requirements for your course. Course requirements can change over time. However, for the duration of your course you need to follow the rules in the handbook from the year you commenced your course.

Navigate to the section on your course for information on its structure. This may include:

  • the total number of credit points required for completion
  • the way credit points need to be attained, for example the maximum number of junior credit points
  • requirements for a major
  • core units of study to be completed
  • elective unit of study options
  • progression information
  • course rules.

If you don’t have a set program, refer to the information on subject areas. The requirements for a major in each subject area are outlined, including the units of study that you will need to complete.

In the handbook you will find detailed unit of study descriptions, including when the unit is offered, the credit point value, assessment types, teaching mode and any prerequisites or corequisites. The current year’s handbook provides up-to-date information on the units of study available.

University policies

The Coursework Policy (pdf, 584KB) and associated Coursework Rule (pdf, 484KB) provide the framework for all undergraduate and postgraduate coursework courses.

For research students, this is provided in the University of Sydney (Higher Degree by Research) Rule.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 05 June 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.