LGBTIQ student support liaison officers
The LGBTIQ Student Support Liaison Officers (SSLOs) are staff volunteers who have received specialised training to support student transition and gender affirmation.
They promote inclusion and support for LGBTIQ students at the University and can provide information about resources to promote health, safety and connection with other students and the community.
Contact an LGBTIQ student support liaison officer
Other support and resources
University of Sydney
- Queer Action Collective (QuAC) – an active collective, hosting and organising activities and events throughout the year to build a strong, inclusive community.
University of Sydney Union (USU)
- SHADES – a society at the University that organises social events for LGBTIQ students and their friends.
- Queer Revue – an all-singing, all-dancing comedic production put on at the Seymour Centre every year by queer and queer-friendly students.
Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association (SUPRA)
- SUPRA Queer Network - an equity network representing and supporting queer-identifying postgraduate students.
- Twenty10 – a community-based, non-profit, state-wide organisation providing a range of support services for people of diverse genders, sexes and sexualities, their families and communities.
- ACON – a Sydney based not-for-profit that actively promotes LGBT and health, and runs regular workshops targeted at providing support and health awareness.
- QLife - Australia's first nationally-oriented counselling and referral service for people who are LGBTI.
- National LGBTI Health Alliance - The national peak health organisation in Australia for organisations and individuals that provide health-related programs, services and research focused on LGBTI and other sexuality, gender, and bodily diverse people and communities.
- The Gender Centre - services for the transgender and gender diverse community, their partners, family members and friends including accommodation, counselling, education and training.
- Organisation Intersex International Australia - a national body by and for people with intersex variations, promoting human rights and bodily autonomy for intersex people and providing information, education and peer support.
- Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome Support Group Australia (AIS) - a peer support information and advocacy group for people affected by AIS and/or related intersex variations, and their families.
- Minus 18 - Australia's largest youth-led network for LGBTI youth, providing support and peer mentoring to LGBTI young leaders.
- Ankali - The Ankali Project trains and supports volunteers who then provide emotional and social support to people living with HIV.
- Australian Lesbian Medical Association (ALMA) - a supportive network for lesbian doctors, medical students and their partners.
- Gay and Married Men's Association (GAMMA) - a safe and confidential forum for men to discuss and consider issues relating to their sexuality and the relationships in their lives.
Study and employment
- Pride in Diversity - the national not-for-profit employer support program for LGBTI workplace inclusion, specialising in HR, organisational change and workplace diversity.
- Out for Australia - supporting and mentoring aspiring LGBTIQ professionals as they navigate their way through the early stages of their careers.
- The Pinnacle Foundation - providing scholarships to LGBTI+ students who are marginalised or disadvantaged.
- Anti-Discrimination Board - promotes anti-discrimination, equal opportunity principles and policies throughout NSW and administers anti-discrimination laws of the state.
- Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby (GLRL) - Advocates on behalf of lesbians and gay men. They also provide referral and educative resources on gay and lesbian rights to the media, policy makers and the community.
- Human Rights Commission - identifies and builds community awareness around the human rights issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people and makes it unlawful to discriminate against such persons.
- The Inner City Legal Centre (ICLC) - provides free and confidential legal service statewide for the NSW LGBTIQ community. They also run the Safe Relationship Project, which assists LGBTIQ individuals who are experiencing or escaping an abusive relationship.