Skip to main content

Sexual misconduct

Behaviour that is intimidating, abusive, disrespectful, or threatening, including sexual assault (rape) or sexual harassment, is not acceptable within our community or on our campuses. If you experience sexual misconduct, we can provide support and help you report the incident if you want to.


National Student Safety Survey

The National Student Safety Survey, which runs from 6 September to 3 October, is part of the university sector’s Respect. Now. Always. initiative – a program that aims to prevent sexual violence in university communities and better support those who have been affected.

A random sample of 10,000 University of Sydney students will be invited by the Social Research Centre to participate in the confidential survey. All current students, whether or not they are selected to participate in the survey, will also have the opportunity to share their story anonymously online.

Support numbers will be provided to all survey participants while they do the survey and students will be able to stop and re-start the survey at any time if they need to take a break.

Students who receive the survey are encouraged to participate, as findings from the survey will make an important contribution to student safety and help shape our work to address and respond to sexual violence.

Immediate danger

If you or someone you know is in danger:

Dial triple zero (000)

Dial triple zero (000) for emergency services (fire/ambulance/police). Calling the police is the quickest way to get help in an emergency. To speak to NSW Police about an incident of sexual harassment or any other kind of sexual misconduct, dial triple zero (000) or contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.


Call Campus Security on 9351 3333

Notify Campus Security on 9351 3333. Campus Security are available 24 hours a day to assist with an emergency or safety threat. 

Deciding what to do next

If you have experienced sexual misconduct, your personal safety and recovery from the trauma is our first priority. The decision about whether or not to report sexual misconduct is up to you. On these pages you can find information on your options and the support available to you:

Talking to someone

If you’re unsure what steps you want to take you can talk to one of our staff in the Safer Communities Office. They are specialist staff members with expertise in providing support to people that have experienced sexual misconduct. They can assist you to access appropriate support services, including security, counselling and health services, and on-campus emergency accommodation.

Safer Communities Office staff are available 8.30am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday. You can speak to them on the phone, email them or call to make an appointment.

Call them on +61 2 8627 6808

If it is outside of opening hours you can call 1800 SYD HLP (1800 793 457) and be connected to NSW Rape Crisis Centre. You can also call them directly on 1800 424 017 or connect with them through their website.

Safer Communities Office

  • Jane Foss Russell Building G02
Opening hours
8.30am to 5.30pm
Monday to Friday
Last updated: 01 September 2021

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.