Skip to main content

Travel concessions

As a student at the University you may be eligible to apply for a travel concession, giving you cheaper public transport fares.


Transport for NSW determine the eligibility for travel concessions.

Generally you are eligible if you are a:

  • full-time enrolled student (18 credit points or more each semester)
  • Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • student with a NSW home address.

If you are enrolled in an exchange program where you pay your tuition fees to your home institution, you may also be eligible for a travel concession.

All other international students and New Zealand citizens are generally not eligible for transport concessions. Instead you’ll need to purchase an Adult Opal card for travel in the NSW Opal network.

In some circumstances, Australian Government scholarships entitle you to a transport concession. Find out if you’re eligible on the Transport for NSW website.


If you have a medical condition or disability which prevents you from being able to enrol in full time study, you may be eligible to register with the University’s Inclusion and Disability Services, where approval for a transport concession can be reviewed. Please note that eligible students must be domestic and engaged in part-time study due to the impacts of their disability.

How to apply


During the enrolment task you will be asked to give consent for us to share your details with Transport for NSW. You will need to do this each time you re-enrol in your course.

You can also provide your consent at any time through Sydney Student (go to 'My details, 'Personal details').

Allow two business days for this information to reach Transport for NSW.


You’ll then need to apply for a Concession Opal card.


Once your eligibility is confirmed your Concession Opal card will be mailed to you within 5-7 working days.

When you have a Concession Opal card, you need to carry your student card with you as proof of your Concession Opal entitlement.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 03 May 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.