Skip to main content

Planning your course

Professional and other degrees

If you're starting a degree other than a liberal studies or specialist degree, there may be additional faculty or school information that you should consider when planning your studies.

If you are starting a liberal studies or specialist degree refer to our liberal studies and special degrees page for information on planning your degree.

Make sure you have done your research and checked the requirements for your course outlined in your handbook.


Select your core units

Some courses will have core units of study that are compulsory to complete. If your course has core units, you’ll need to include these when planning what units of study you’re going to complete.


Think about your major

If your course requires you to complete a major, start thinking about this in your first year, as most majors have a compulsory number of junior credit points. These junior units are often prerequisites for units you’ll need to take later on.

You may need to nominate your major when you enrol, and will need to select units that meet the requirements of your major.


Choose your electives

Many courses will allow you to complete electives. This may give you the opportunity to study units from different disciplines that interest you.


Think about international experience or honours

Depending on your course, you may have global opportunities such as short-term, semester or year-long exchanges.

Many courses also offer the opportunity to complete honours – usually an additional year of study where you complete a research project.


Broaden your knowledge with Open Learning Environment (OLE) units

Consider taking an OLE unit to acquire new knowledge and skills in other fields of study. These units are listed in Table O in the Interdisciplinary Studies Handbook, and you'll enrol through Sydney Student. 

Further information

Check the additional information below to see if it relates to your course.

Faculties and schools have published sample degree plans for many courses. These are a great tool to help you structure your own degree and you can use them to fill out the blank course planner template (pdf, 42KB) if you wish. 

Degree plans can be found in the faculty handbook.

There are two types of majors available to most students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

A Table A major is a major in a subject area taught within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. In most courses, it is compulsory to complete a Table A major.

A Table B major is a major in a subject area taught within another faculty. The subject areas from other faculties available to students within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences are listed in the handbook.

If you're studying in the Business School, log into Canvas and use our undergraduate progression examples to help you plan your studies.

Students who commenced before 2018

Refer to Canvas for the latest transitional arrangements regarding your course, as well as the handbook for the year you commenced your studies.

While a stream defines the primary disciplinary focus of your course (such as Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering), a major is an optional area of specialisation within your course (both Civil and Mechanical Engineers may choose to major in Environmental Engineering, for example).

You can find course planners to help you plan your studies in the course and unit of study portal (CUSP).

If you're a current student, log in to Canvas to see which majors align with particular engineering streams.

If you would like to upgrade to a Space major, apply using the changing stream form. You need an annual average mark of at least 75.

If you would like to change your stream, you will need to apply online.

Assistance with unit selection for the Master of Data Science, can be found in this enrolment guide.  

You can access the Law degree sample planner.

Degree plans can be found in the faculty handbook.

If you're studying in the Faculty of Science, use our sample degree plans (pdf, 1.9MB) to help you plan your studies.


If you are studying psychology, use our guide on studying psychology (pdf, 127KB) to help plan your studies.

Veterinary Science

If you’re undertaking the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, you can find more information on the School of Veterinary Science Canvas page.

Student Centre



1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

Find out more about how we can help

Last updated: 04 July 2024

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.