Student safety is our priority and due to the impacts of COVID-19, our July intensives ICPUs will be delivered in an online format, primarily through Zoom video conferencing.
As with face-to-face delivery, you will still work collaboratively in interdisciplinary groups to solve a complex problem set by an industry partner. The partner will virtually engage and provide guidance throughout the project.
4000 level Industry and Community Project Units (ICPUs) are available for students enrolled in a Bachelor of Advanced Studies. These are 12 credit point projects that students will need to access through two co-requisite 6 credit point faculty-based shell units (Projects A and B).
The projects will run across two consecutive teaching sessions - the February intensive period (Project A) followed by semester 1 (Project B), or the July intensive period (Project A) followed by semester 2 (Project B) students must commit to and be able to attend the two consecutive teaching session.
These projects will be designed around broad themes and students will interact with multiple industry and community partners who will set the project scope, as well as provide students with advice and resources. Within the context of the project, students will develop a range of personal and professional skills and strategies for effective collaboration and complex problem solving.
Project teams, comprised of around five 4000 level students from multiple disciplines, will develop and submit a full research proposal at the end of Project A identifying the problem or opportunity they wish to explore, aims, objectives, approach and expected outcomes.
The teams will then complete their research projects in Project B and the outcome will be presented in a final report to a panel of external partners.
These outputs will be assessed and contribute to a total group-based mark of 60%. The remaining 40% of the mark will be based on individual performance, participation in project teams and communities of practice and two individual statements. This collaborative framework is designed to allow students to graduate from the University with a personal and professional network.
Food is central to family, cultural and community identity. It is essential to sustain life and food-related activities provide income and livelihoods for billions of people on earth. With the continuing rise in global food production and manufacturing to meet increasing demand, there is a pressing need to rethink food systems. In this project, student teams representing unique mixes of disciplines will explore questions such as, how can we influence mass consumer food behaviours? What will be the role of growers, manufacturers, retailers and regulators? Which technologies and innovations (eg. smart foods, alternative proteins, and personalised nutrition) will be required to transform the food industry? What role can the health and allied professions play? Through research into these areas students will provide solutions on how we can rethink food for better health and sustainability. Students will be exposed to the Australian food industry through visits to farms, food processors and manufacturers and markets.
This is run in intensive mode - you're expected to attend class Monday to Friday (exact timing to be determined by your project supervisor).
10am - 1pm, Wednesday
3 hours a week of project work.
For 2020 this project will be delivered in an online format, primarily using Zoom video conferencing.
Students are expected to be available for a mix of independent and structured learning activities from 6 July - 5 August, Monday to Friday. See our sample schedule for an example of how online ICPU intensives will be run. The exact daily schedule for each project will be determined by your project supervisor.
10am - 1pm, Wednesday
3 hours of class attendance per week.
Enrolments into shell units open December 18.
This project is accessed through two co-requisite 6 credit point facility based shell units. You will need to select the two shell units for the project through Sydney Student. If you've already enrolled you can do this by changing your units of study (go to ‘My studies’, ‘Units of study’, then ‘Change your units of study’)
Shell units for BUSI, SCIE, FASS and ADP are available in Table A and/or Table S. Units as follows:
Once you enrolled into the two shell units, you will need to upload a signed and witnessed Deed Poll to Canvas. This is a compulsory requirement of your enrolment in this unit. Make sure you consider the acknowledgments in the deed carefully before submission. You will be granted access to Canvas the week before teaching starts for your enrolled session and you will need to submit your Deed Poll before the first day of class.